Dr SH
Dr SH, Certified physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I suffer from extreme health anxiety and it is one symptom

Customer Question

I suffer from extreme health anxiety and it is one symptom which goes after I realise it's anxiety and then replaced with a new symptom. My new symptom is occasional blue spot flashes in my vision. I had a eye test with pressure test and photo taken of back of my eyes and told my eyes are perfect and they said anxiety can cause these eye symptoms due to dilated pupils and being hyper vigilant about my vision which I am. I had a full health check by bloods two weeks before symptoms started. I am scared I have a brain tumour in particular a occipital lobe tumour. Would there be other signs and would the eye exam and bloods have show something ?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr SH replied 2 years ago.
Hi there
Thank you for your question
If you had an occipital lobe tumor it would usually lead to reduced visual acuity i.e. reduced vision.
The good thing is that your eye examination was normal.
If there were a tumor in the brain it would have caused a sign in the fundus of the eye called as papilledema.
So if the examination of the retina of your eye was normal then it would be unlikely for you to be having an occipital lobe tumor.
A tumor in the brain would also cause a lot of headache quite often associated with vomiting as well.
As far as your symptoms are concerns I think your anxiety is getting the better of you and there is nothing to worry about.
If you want to be dead sure and want to relieve your anxiety you can have a CT scan or MRI of your brain just to put your mind to ease.
It would be EXTREMELY UNLIKELY with what you are describing for you to be having a brain tumor.
Let me know if you have more questions.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options below.
Kind regards