Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Just noticed very recently that when i close my right eye…

Customer Question
Hi there just noticed very...
Hi there just noticed very recently that when i close my right eye and focus with my left eye I do get a few zig zag lines it's hard to explain but the vision is clear it's not doubled at all just like sprinklers would be how I could describe it yet the object is clear. I do have a slight imbalance in my left eye looking through that everything is slightly smaller and I can't read print from far away but clear in the right eye and I wear glasses for the computer and close up reading that is all. Should I see my optician or is that normal ?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Eye
5/23/2015
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 3 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
What you are describing is consistent with ocular migraines, a condition that I not only treat in my office but that I have been dealing with personally for decades.
A typical migraine headache starts with shimmering lights, often times they surround a blurry area or have dots or jaggedly lines associated with them. They tend to progressively increase in intensity and sometimes march across the visual field causing difficulty with reading. Many times this is then accompanied by nausea, irritability, sensitivity to bright lights and/or loud noises. After the onset of the lights (called scintillating scotomas), the headache typically starts and the light show tends to progressively go away.
Many people can have this migraine phenomenon WITHOUT the headache; it is called an acephalgic migraine. Some people even start having these late in life, or may have had a few much earlier in life that behaved differently and haven't had any for decades and then begin to have them; this is not uncommon. A family history of migraines is often present as well.
This is nothing to worry about. It is not a sign of a more serious underlying condition, brain tumor or anything like that. If the episodes become so frequent that they are bothersome there are medicines that can be used to decrease their frequency or stop an episode once it has started.
I, personally, have been suffering from this condition for almost 30 years. I almost never got the headaches after the visual effects.
There was one time, I was in the middle of a very delicate retina operation, when an attack started. After a few moments I lost most of my central vision and the inferior part of my visual field. I, calmly, removed my surgical instruments from the patients eye and we all sat around in the OR for 15 minutes until my vision returned. Other than that my ocular migraines have not really caused me any significant problems :o)
Does this make sense to you?
Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Many thanks for the information provided, my left eye is a little weaker than my right anyway, I only noticed this when I closed my right eye and focused with my left I noticed that it was clear but there was a bit of fuzziness going on or as I call it sprinklers, was fearing alsorts, do you recommend an eye test ??
From what you have posted I do not believe there is any rush to have an eye test but, of course, it wouldn't hurt to have a complete eye exam by an ophthalmologist (eye MD) in the near future just to be sure.
Does this make sense to you?
I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Many thanks with your help, before I rate this answer, I am considering having an eye examination I have noticed that when I close my right eye and look through my left things are smaller so do you think I need glasses permenantly, currently I only use them for reading and for the computer ??
Just because you use glasses for reading and the computer does not mean that you will need glasses forever.....you should be OK.
I would suggest you see an ophthalmologist (Eye MD) for your eye exam when the time comes.
Does this make sense to you?
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Okay and the inbalance in my left eye is this common, as I said the image is clear but everything appears smaller in the left eye, unless I go closer to the object ?
No. this is not common.
Your ophthalmologist can do specialized testing to see if you might be suffering from a condition called aniseikonia.
Does this make sense?
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Is this a serious condition??
Eye Doctor: Dr SH, Certified physician replied 3 years ago
Dr SH
Dr SH, Certified physician

I totally agree with the responses of Dr. Rick. This is not something to worry about a great deal and it is not a serious condition. At the moment it is your anxiety that is getting the better of you. Please rate me by clicking on one of the smilies below before we proceed. Kind regards