Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I went blind this morning for a few seconds. All I saw was

black. After winking my eyes...
I went blind this morning for a few seconds. All I saw was black. After winking my eyes a few times, I saw again. Am I okay?
I had bad eyesight before and were contacts until I did prk a few years ago and didn't have a problem since. Today, I woke up and was going to the restroom when I was 100% blind. I didn't have any bad symptoms the whole day.
3/9/2014
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
No. You are not ok. This is something that has to be evaluated by an ophthalmologist and, possibly, an internal medicine MD....the sooner the better.
Do not delay seeing evaluation. Better safe than sorry when it comes to, even brief, lights-out blindness.
Does this make sense to you?
Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Thanks for the warning but what may be the causes when something like that happens?

Mirna,
It sounds like you may have experienced a condition called Amaurosis fugax (AF).
Amaurosis fugax is the transient loss of vision in one eye. It has many causes and, in the early 1990's, a study called the Amaurosis Fugax Study Group defined and grouped them to help with diagnosis and treatment of this problem.
What can cause AF? It can be due to an embolism, problems with the blood, problems with the eye itself or, sometimes due to no cause we can figure out (idiopathic). I would be happy to go through all the different diagnostic possibilities in each of these categories but I don't think that is the best use of your time.....you need to know what to do.
AF is a symptom that something serious is wrong. It can be a warning that you are heading toward a dangerous vascular event such as a TIA, stroke or even death. It is important for you to see your ophthalmologist and possibly your internal medicine physician ASAP. What will they do? A complete history and physical, a complete eye examination, maybe a fluorescein angiogram of your retina, laboratory tests, possibly ultrasound of your carotid arteries or an CT/MRI of your head.
Treatment depends on what is found on the above workup.
I can not stress enough the need for you to be seen for a complete exam as soon as possible, even though you are a bit young for some of the more serious systemic problems that can lead to AF....
Does this make sense to you?
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Mirna,
I was just thinking about you this weekend and wondering what the doctors found out. I hope everything is OK.
Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you.
Dr. Rick MD FACS

Thank you for your advice

My pleasure.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD