Eye

I have a black spot in my vision when I blink. When I don't…

Customer Question
I have a black spot...

I have a black spot in my vision when I blink. When I don't blink that area is a little blurry. What could this be? Should I be worried about MS... Read full answer

I have a black spot in my vision when I blink. When I don't blink that area is a little blurry. What could this be? Should I be worried about MS

Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Eye
2/2/2014
Eye Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 5 years ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
This is Dr. David

it sounds like you are letting your anxiety get out of control on this.

you should see an eye doctor and get an eye exam

and visual field testing

but I bet your vision will be fine.

you should not be worried about MS.

let me know if you have questions.

I've had a lot of neurological symptoms over the past year including burning sensation in my legs, fatigue, muscle twitching, and slight tremor in my hand.

I've read that MS can have symptoms of optic neuritis where you have black spots or graying of vision

do you have a history of excessive anxiety?

excessive anxiety can cause you to have all of these different symptoms.

don't let your anxiety get out of control.

reading about these symptoms on the internet will only worsen your anxiety

you should get your eyes examined, but I bet your eyes will be fine.

i dont think anxiety can cause a black dot to appear in one eye, I'm not even anxious about it. If you don't have extensive knowledge about MS can you please send me to a certified neurologist

I do have knowledge about MS

it is super super super rare for MS to present in this way.

it is normal to have some temporary blurriness in your eye right after you blink.

when looking out of just one eye, you normally have one area of lack of vision in one ey. that is where the optic nerve enters the retina

this area is called the blind spot.

you can read about it here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_spot_%28vision%29

when looking out of each eye individually, you have a blind spot in both eyes.

but when looking out of both eyes, you don't have a blind spot because your brain takes care of it.

Im talking about a specific spot that I see that only occurs in my right eye field of vision. If I'm reading something there is a light gray or black spot in my field of vision.

Similar to Jack Osbourne's description:

"I was talking to the attendant, and all of a sudden a black dot appeared in my vision," he told the magazine. "I was like, 'That's weird.' The next day I woke up and the dot had turned into a cigar shape."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/jack-osbourne-multiple-sclerosis-discovery-couldn-front-article-1.1099291#ixzz2sBdHGdWc

MS caused him to have a large area of vision

this is with his eyes open.

not just after you blink

and he also had lost of sensation in one of his legs.

his symptoms sound much more than what you are having

Its more pronounced when I blink but its also there with my eyes wide open.

well, if you have a black spot in one eye in your vision with your eyes open , then you need to see an eye doctor and get visual field testing.
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
MY VISION HAS BEEN BLURRY AND I HAVE A SLIGHT PAIN IN MY
MY VISION HAS BEEN BLURRY AND I HAVE A SLIGHT PAIN IN MY HEAD AND SOMETIMES EYE THE PAIN COMES AND GOES NOTHING BAD. ITS NOT BLURRY TO READ ON MY CELL BUT WHEN I LOOK AT COMPUTER OR FAR AWAY EYES CANN… read more
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Board certified general ophthalmologist,
When I blink I see a spot that happens and it goes away but
When I blink I see a spot that happens and it goes away but also even with contact in my vision doesn't seem as clear as it usually is … read more
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo
Healthcare consultant,
I have a fixed black spot in centre of my vision of left eye
I have a fixed black spot in centre of my vision of my left eye x 2 weeks. My vision seems a little blurred and I can only identify the black spot when I close my right eye. I have no eye pain and had… read more
Dr Stan
Dr Stan
DO
Stop searching for answers—
Rick, I have developed a new spot in my vision recently
Hi Dr. Rick,I have developed a new spot in my vision recently which has be concerned. As you can see from our past messages I had a black spot when blinking in the top center of my visual field and ha… read more
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Ophthalmologist & Retina Specialist,
I had cataract surgery with a toric lens implant for
I had cataract surgery with a toric lens implant for astigmatism 10 days ago. The vision in my operated on eye was excellent until this morning. Now my distance vision is blurry and a little cloudy (I… read more
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Rick! I took your advice and was seen by an Ophthalmologist.
Hi Dr. Rick! I took your advice and was seen by an Ophthalmologist. He said the spot is a floater and he could not see anything wrong. My concern is I have had floaters for all of my life and they "fl… read more
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Ophthalmologist & Retina Specialist,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I have a black spot in central vision on each eye just after
I have a black spot in central vision on each eye just after waking up, every morning, for about 2 minutes. I have to blink many times for the spots to vanish. Five years back these spots started bare… read more
Board Certified Physician,
My right eye will suddenly cloud up and feel full (?). It's
My right eye will suddenly cloud up and feel full (?). It's like looking through a black veil. It lasts anywhere from 5 to 10 mins and the gradually vision is restored. The feeling of fullness does al… read more
eyemd45
eyemd45
Dr., I have a black spot (although its been many other
Dr. Dan B, I have a black spot (although its been many other colors) in my vision when I blink. When my eyes are wide open its kind of a grey spot and it moves where my right eye moves When I don't bl… read more
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Board Certified Ophthalmologist,
I have a black/grey spot to the far left in my field of
I have a black/grey spot to the far left in my field of vision (left eye) when I blink rapidly. I can't "see" the spot when I'm not blinking, but can make it re-appear by blinking rapidly. Any idea wh… read more
eyemd45
eyemd45
Can black spots in your visions be caused by reduced blood
Can black spots in your visions be caused by reduced blood flow in the brain? The black spots in my vision do not drift or move.… read more
jbmd
jbmd
physician,
I just got beamed in the open eyeball with a thrown hard
I just got beamed in the open eyeball with a thrown hard candy just to the nose-side of my left iris. My vision initially went black for a second or two, then milky, then rainbow sparkles that ultimat… read more
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Ophthalmologist & Retina Specialist,
Stop searching for answers—
My eyesight blurs and then clears up after a few seconds. I
my eyesight blurs and then clears up after a few seconds. I had heart surgery in October. In February, my optomologist said to wait till August to revisit the situation. Katherine… read more
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Ophthalmologist & Retina Specialist,
I'm having a vision disturbance in my right eye. It sorta
I'm having a vision disturbance in my right eye. It sorta looks like a Nike "swoop", but thinner, just below my central field of vision (swoop starts at center). That area behaves the same as when you… read more
Dr. James
Dr. James
For several months I wake up and I feel somewhat of a
For several months I wake up and I feel somewhat of a crystalization in the inner corner of my left eye. At first I really thought it was my imagination but it is real. It only last a little while aft… read more
Dr. James
Dr. James
A few weeks ago I saw an optometrist for problems with my
A few weeks ago I saw an optometrist for problems with my right eye (flashes of light and some blurred vision and floaters - the blurring clears somewhat with blinking). The optometrist did a complete… read more
Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan
I have been getting blurry vision and i have a blurry spot
I have been getting blurry vision and i have a blurry spot that comes and goes. When I get the burry spot, blinking seems to make it go away. Do I need glasses?… read more
Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan
My doc said i have swelling behind my left eye around the
My doc said i have swelling behind my left eye around the nerve. For the past 2 months my perripheral vision has been blurry. And I've been seeing bright spots when lighting changes that disappear. Al… read more
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens
Ophthalmologist,