Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

My right eye seems to have gotten infected a few days ago.

My right eye seems to have gotten infected a few days ago. It started just being itchy, then waking up with the eye crusty and pusy. The upper lid is now quite swollen. I recently had a sexual encounter with a woman I don't know, in which I put my fingers inside her, and it's possible that I touched my eye at some point. I started to use some polysporin eyedrops as directed on the bottle yesterday, but the swelling seems to have increased a bit. Is this a possible STD, or could it be a coincidental infection? I have not noticed any other symptoms, the eye is tender, but not overly painful. The eye is slightly red, probably from dryness, or scratching, as it is a little itchy.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

Yes, thank you

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The possibility of a STD cannot be made only based on history or symotoms. It would definitely require an eye exam by an ophthalmologist and few investigations. Tillbyou get the eye exam done , you can continue with the antibiotic eye drops, 1 drop 4 times a day,

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It could even be a coincidental viral blepharoconjunctivitis. This is self limiting and subsides naturally with 1 to 2 weeks.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You can apply cool compresses to get relief from itching.

Customer:

I was having a difficult time sleeping worrying about it, as I felt I might have kept from going to a doctor too long. It started Saturday morning, and I started to take the drops before bed on Sunday. I do not know much about STDs and how they might affect me if it is one.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You can clean the lids gently with warm water in the morning so as to rekove the crusts as crusts can cause itching too.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there anything else that I can answer for you?

Customer:

Should I see a doctor urgently?

Customer:

First thing in the morning, or am I likely worrying too much?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Earlier the better. Not first thing in the morning. But preferably in a week's time if symptoms do not begin to subside or rather worsen.

Customer:

Ok, I understand. I don't think I have anymore questions.

Customer:

I thank you for your time!

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.Thank you and best wishes.It was a pleasure to have answered this question.Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Customer:

Thank you again, have a good night!