Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

My 66 year old husband just returned from a store where he

My 66 year old husband just returned from a store where he was looking at shelving.While looking at the tall shelf units, he noticed that when he blinked and opened his eyes, the image would jump 3 to 4 inches to the left. He found this very strange, so he purposely blinked about six more times, with the same result. He had an eye exam a few months ago to follow up on minor cataracts which have been affecting his vision slightly. Nothing else was found to be wrong at that time. What could be causing this strange occurrence?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Tom :

Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom

Dr. Tom :

Are you available to chat about your husband's eye question?

Dr. Tom :

Since returning home has he had any of the same symptoms? Does he have dizziness, weakness in any area of his body or a headache?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm here
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 3 years ago.
It looks like we need to use the Q and A format, so we will be replying by email.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, he has no symptoms now
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 3 years ago.
OK, thank you for that, but it's important to know if the symptoms have continued since he got home or if his driving was hindered by the symptoms.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No just lasted a minute while he was in the store. I can respond in live chat if we can still do that, I was expecting an email response. wasn't looking for the live chat. I like that better if we can still do it.
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 3 years ago.
Wendy, did you receive the last extensive email that I was typing (I like live chat too, but we were shifted to Q&A).
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no, I didn't
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 3 years ago.
OK...give me a minute to re-type my reply.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok...thanks
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 3 years ago.
Your husband's symptoms are certainly not related to cataract. And given that he seems perfectly normal now, there doesn't seem any need for an urgent evaluation. However, ocular motility problems need to be take seriously, as you know from your sensitivity of asking the question. If he manifest any further similar symptoms please consider it urgent and get in touch with his ophthalmologist or an ER. I know that you want a specific answer regarding why he experienced his symptom, but without a complete exam it not possible. At 66 he is entering the age group where vascular and neuro-ophthalmological issues may need to be evaluated, but for tonight taking a wait and see seems reasonable. Does this make sense?
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 3 years ago.
Please don't hesitate to ask follow to questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My husband and I thank you for your input. Because an opthamologist is never available on an urgent basis, do you think this should be evaluated at the ER if it should happen again? This, as opposed to waiting a day or 2 for an opthomology appointment.
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I understand the issue with appointments, but I if he were a patient in my practice and called in with this issue, I'd make time to see him ASAP. For tonight, I think it's OK, but a recurrence is telling us he need a comprehensive evaluation. Does that make sense to you both?

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 3 years ago.
Actually you asked about going to an ER. There will surely be an ophthalmologist on call. So if there is no way for you to consult with your eye doc, yes...an ER visit is warranted if there is a recurrence. Make sense?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just guessing here....could it be something as simple as being dehydrated or overly tired? We will definitely keep an eye on it either way. Just wondering if there is a chance that it is something simple.
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 3 years ago.
it is probably something non-threatening but without a full evaluation it's not prudent to speculate. That why we use the term " expectant observation". It sounds that you are very attentive. Just don't be caviler about something that might be serious. May I help with anything further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No. We try to limit ourselves to one strange occurrence a night. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 3 years ago.
Your sense of humor is refreshing. Best wishes.
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the Bonus.....please call on me personally if you have anything else eye related that I can help you with.