How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Dan B. Your Own Question
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 3343
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. Dan B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was at the gym boot camp class today pushing these sleds

This answer was rated:

i was at the gym boot camp class today pushing these sleds with weight on them...and suddenly i started seeing like a red streak in one eye
Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Do you have high blood pressure, high nearsightedness, or previous eye problems?
Dr. Dan B. : Do you have any new floating things in your vision or any flashing lights in the vision? Has your vision changed at all other than this?

floating blood in vision. thats the best way to explain if u put blood in water and it meshes around?? but if u look at my eye in the mirror you dont see anything. other than that vision is fine

Dr. Dan B. : It sounds like you could be experiencing what is called a vitreous hemorrhage. Vitreous is the jelly that the blood is suspended in. There can be several causes of a vitreous hemorrhage, diabetes being the most common, but in someone with a new floater I worry about a hole, break, or tear in the retina. I would recommend seeing your eye doctor as soon as possible to assess which of these things are going on, but a defect in the retina is the most important thing to make sure is not happening. Unfortunately, the rate at which the body clears the blood is a little different for everyone. However, most start to see improvement after a month and for most it is usually cleared for the most part after 2 months. If it does not clear after this time, then a surgery is necessary to evacuate the blood. But for now I would recommend doing a few things to help lessen any more bleeding: Sleeping with your head elevated around 30 degrees is important. Don't put your head below your waist and try not to lift, push, pull, or shove anything heavier than 10 pounds. If you can avoid it, try not to take medicines like aspirin, ibuprofen, advil, aleve--these all thin the blood. That being said, if your doctor has placed you on one of these medicines for its therapeutic effect on the heart and/or blood pressure, then it would not be wise to stop them (it just may prolong the hemorrhage some). In addition, drugs like coumadin, warfarin, and plavix also thin the blood and can prolong this.I would call the ophthalmologist's office and try and be seen by the on-call doctor and if that isn't possible, you may consider going to the ER.

before it was more like a vein of red...and now its more like separating...its been about 3-4 hours since this happened

Dr. Dan B. : Does this make sense?
Dr. Dan B. : Do you have any other questions about this?

i will try and go see doctor today thank you.


yes it does.

Dr. Dan B. : My pleasure. Good luck. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Dr. Dan B. and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you