Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

In an eye exam by an Ophthalmologist in August I was told

In an eye exam by an Ophthalmologist in August I was told that I had the beginning of cataracts--but it was only slightly noticeable when driving at night. However, starting three days ago I noticed that the vision was cloudy in one eye, like my glasses were smudged (but they are not). There is slight irritation in that eye and last night I noticed occasional white flashes at the periphery. It is Saturday and I'm not the same town as my original Ophthalmologist. Should I seek help immediately, or can this wait until next week?
Thanks,
Bruce (67)
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Cataracts would not cause flashes of light with sudden clouding of vision. Do you wear glasses for distance and near? Are you short sighted(myopic)?

Customer:

I am myopic and do wear glasses all the time.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Have you experienced a sudden bout of fresh floaters in these 3 days?

Customer:

Yes! Appearing at the same time, I have the biggest floater ever.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I am afraid that you do need to seek help at the earliest. To be on the safer side it is better to get an eye exam by an ophthalmologist at the earliest ( if possible they could find one at the ER). Such a sudden clouding of vision with flashes and floaters could point towards a possible retinal detachment(RD). Thus it is very important to get an eye exam done at the earliest by the nearest eye doctor.

Customer:

OK, will do. And thanks much. Bruce

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Best wishes, Bruce! Take care.

Hi Bruce,
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did you get the eye examined by an ophthalmologist? I was wondering if a diagnosis of PVD(posterior vitreous detachment) or RD was made. Take care.
Let me know,
Dr.A.S.Desai
Hi Bruce,
Let me know,
Dr.A.S.Desai