Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I was born with unusual eyes but the one I have the problem

I was born with unusual eyes but the one I have the problem with is identical to a cat the pupil is the same. for years the only issue has been strong sun light and freaking every one out and certainly every optician when I get glasses. I do take eye dropps I have taken xalatan timoel and now on dultrav twice a day to control pressure. recently I have been told I have a cataract. I am really seeing (pardon the pun) the differenct I cannot read this text in that eye unless 1 foot away from the screen. I asked abut surgery but the anwswered with as long as you can detect motion we are not worried. The dont seem to realise I have to work and be able to see fine details judge distances. I work in a office and its gets a bit big money sometimes I cannot see to well with the bright light coming from the windows and if I am trying to train by looking at someone else is screen it just cannot see it even with glasses I have given up driving I dont trust my vison. My other eye is done all the work but the pupil is much smaller and in top half of my eye So bright light means i close my eye half way covering the pupil. all these hospital consultants seem to be doing is showing there students and plotting a line graph to blindness. my question is why at 38 with still plenty of working life no one wants to try to do anything. I not hung up on the comsmetics of it just want something that does the job

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

I know you had asked for another doctor to answer this but he is not on the site presently.

Would you like to continue with me?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sure if you can answer it sure oh

great. so it seems you have two problems... glaucoma AND a cataract. has your eye surgeon stated that there is a problem with the surgery because of the glaucoma? of simply that they are not going to do the surgery?

standing by

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

they said vision not bad enough the glaucoma or pressure issue is because I don't have enough filters around the lens so my eyes due to the shape dont clean very well by themselves and pressure builds up. but surgery scares them but the wont talk about it they just keep saying come back for another pressure reading. which is hard be cause its allways in the middle of the day as nhs may be free but you have little choice on appointment times and as a out patient of many years for this I have to book six weeks in advance and get a random day in a working week, every time i go they check pressure check i have correct glasses and check my prehiperal vison in a dome with light dots flashing, for the first time ever in july the took pictures of my retina, which i did not enjoy as it was sensory overload for hours after on my eyes saw pink dots or bubbles of quite a while, when I mentioned driving they said you can drive with one eye, they really don't seem interested and so I dont go any more i see no point.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

better picture

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ah, you have a defect of the iris.

I am conversant with glaucoma and standard cataract surgery, but feel that an eye surgeon would be best to answer this question as yours is a somewhat unique case.

I hope you get a good resolution soon.

Best

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. I see that your expert has opted out and is no longer available to assist you.
You have an iris coloboma. Do you know if you have a defect in your retina as well?
If you do have a retinal defect this may explain why the ophthalmologist is not in a hurry to remove your cataract. If the cataract is not contributing a significant amount to your overall vision loss it may not be worth the risk of cataract surgery at this time.
That being said, if you have noticed a large decrease in your vision and if the glare is getting so bad that you can not function it very well may worth the risk of proceeding with cataract surgery at this point.
Since your current ophthalmologist does not seem to be willing to consider cataract surgery at this time I suggest you gather up your medical record and obtain a second opinion from a different ophthalmologist.
Does this make sense to you?
I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me a “10” rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest