Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have been suffering from severe headaches that keep on

Hello,I have been suffering from...
Hello,I have been suffering from severe headaches that keep on coming back. To give you a better description, the headaches happen always above the left eye and never spread to the right and they occur roughly once every two weeks. They are so severe that i have to lay back and keep my eyes closed and try to sleep if possible.Thanks in advance..
11/11/2013
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any medical problems or take any other medication?

Dr. Rick :

How long has this been going on for?

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any other symptoms?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I will switch to Q&A format. This format works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Adam,
Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : Do you have any medical problems or take any other medication?
Dr. Rick : How long has this been going on for?
Dr. Rick : Do you have any other symptoms?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Sorry..

- I don't have any medical problems

- This has been going on for about two years but it was less frequent before

- sometimes nausea during the haedache

Adam,
Thank you for that extra information.
While you did not mention the visual effects, I believe that this is what is going on with you:
What you are describing is consistent with ocular migraines, a condition that I not only treat in my office but that I have been dealing with personally for decades.
A typical migraine headache starts with shimmering lights, often times they surround a blurry area or have dots or jaggedly lines associated with them. They tend to progressively increase in intensity and sometimes march across the visual field causing difficulty with reading. Many times this is then accompanied by nausea, irritability, sensitivity to bright lights and/or loud noises. After the onset of the lights (called scintillating scotomas), the headache typically starts and the light show tends to progressively go away.
Many people can have this migraine phenomenon WITHOUT the headache; it is called an acephalgic migraine. Some people even start having these late in life, or may have had a few much earlier in life that behaved differently and haven't had any for decades and then begin to have them; this is not uncommon. A family history of migraines is often present as well.
This is nothing to worry about. It is not a sign of a more serious underlying condition, brain tumor or anything like that. If the episodes become so frequent that they are bothersome there are medicines that can be used to decrease their frequency or stop an episode once it has started.
I, personally, have been suffering from this condition for almost 30 years. I almost never got the headaches after the visual effects.
Does this make sense to you?
I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me a “10” rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS

Alot of what you said makes sense especially about the bright lights and noise. What i forgot to add was because the pain is really too much, i close my eyes for as long as possible and that my left eye becomes teary - i mean really watery- to the extent that if i open my eye drops pour down my cheeks..a lot.

Also any suggestions on what can ease the pain because i take paracetamol at the beginning before it gets worse but it does't help.

Thanks again

p.s. does being in front of the computer all day be a cause

Adam,
The tearing can be from the migraine. I get this at times too..
Many things can trigger a migraine and, yes, computer screens have been found to be a trigger in some people. This does not, however, mean that the computer use is the cause of yours...
The best thing to do is get an evaluation by a neurologist who specializes in headaches. There are many treatments and medications that can decrease not only the frequency of your headaches but the duration and severity as well.
As far as over the counter meds you could try excedrin migraine.
One thing that sometimes works for me is chugging a diet pepsi, or other caffeine containing soft drink, when I first start feeling a migraine coming on....you will have to experiment to find what works for you.
Does this make sense to you?
Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD