Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Help, I splashed muriatic acid in my eye. I have flushed the

help, I splashed muriatic acid in my eye. I have flushed the eye with water, but it still burns. What else can I do? Thanks
Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Customer:

yes

Dr. Dan B. :

For how long did you flush the eye out?

Customer:

about 2-3 minutes

Dr. Dan B. :

I would actually recommend a good fifteen minutes of flushing. How much acid got in the eye? A few drops or a lot of liquid?

Customer:

just a drop or so

Dr. Dan B. :

After flushing for 10-12 more minutes, if your eye is still irritated, I would recommend using artificial tears in that eye, 1 drop 4x-5x/day for the next few days. You can also put a cool compress on it as much as you'd like. If it is not better after doing this for 24-48 hours or if it is worsening despite this, I would recommend seeing your eye doctor. Does this make sense?

Customer:

yes, thank you

Dr. Dan B. :

You bet.

Do you have any other questions about this?

Customer:

yes, I have a product called 'Refresh, is that ok to use as artificial tears?

Dr. Dan B. :

It's perfect--a very good product.

Customer:

ok, thanks, ***** ***** use it. if it was only a drop or 2 of the acid, would there be any residual effect?

Dr. Dan B. :

Probably not--a good chance you'll be just fine outside of some minor irritation.

Customer:

thanks. . the minor irritation is definitely there!

Dr. Dan B. :

My pleasure. I hope this has been helpful. Good luck to you and hope you feel better soon.

Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!

Customer:

thank you