Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

My 9 year old son is blinking his eyes frequently for the

Hi, My 9 year old son...
My 9 year old son is blinking his eyes frequently for the past few weeks for some reason. He says he is ok and he is able to study/read etc ok but most of the times he is on ipad playing games etc which might strain his eyes.
Does he a need a visit with an opthamologist or some sort of eye test to check his vision/power etc.....
11/4/2013
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Repeated blinking, eye closing and opening and sometimes even slow rolling of the eyes up under the eyelids in children is a common phenomenon and usually does not indicate anything significantly wrong with the child. The most common reason for this type of behavior (some would call this a tic) is because of surface irritation to the eyes. Some would call this a dry eye, or just eye irritation. It can happen because of the front of the eye being dry or having inflammation, and can also be caused by or exacerbated by eye allergies (usually there is significant itching that accompanies eye allergies). One of the easiest things to do is to start treating him as though his eyes were dry by either using cool compresses (wet/cold washcloth) over each eye for 5 minutes (done as many times/day as you would like). Another treatment, which is probably more successful at treating eye irritation is to use over-the-counter artificial tears in each eye 3-4x/day. This must be done regularly, every day, for a few weeks (2-3 at least) to see significant results. However, if you've done either or both of these treatments and the child is still persisting with this behavior, then I would recommend a visit to see an ophthalmologist. This eye doctor can screen him to see if he has a need for glasses that is going unmet and also to make sure there isn't anything wrong with the eyes. Does this make sense?
Dr. Dan B. : Do you have any other questions about this? It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved...Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.