Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

my mom, she is 60, had a stroke 1year and 7 month ago. She

My mom, she is 60, had ischemic stroke (two blockages in the left side and one in the center) 1year and 7 months ago. She lost speech and mobility in her right arm and leg. She did not regain those functions back. However, her memory was not affected at that time and she interacted with family and friends. Last week, she started acting very strange: she sits and looks at one spot and does not react to people. She has this empty look in her eyes as if she is in a different world. Is there any explanation for this behavior? She takes pills for diabetes II.

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of medical experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. Thank you for your patience.

It sounds like your mother may have had another silent stroke.

It would be best if you get her into her doctor for an evaluation.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That is what I thought too. Yes, she has been seeing by a doctor, but he says that there was no stroke (he thinks her nervous system got affected by stress which cause her to shut down) and there is nothing he can do for her. Their approach is – just let her be and do nothing. They say that even if she suffered a stroke, taking her to a hospital will do nothing (basically they are saying that they do not want to waste a hospital space on her). She lives in a foreign country where the medical system is terrible. This is very frustrating for me. I live far from my mom and talk to my family through skype. The local hospital does not have a CT scan. There is a regional hospital, approximately an hour away from where she lives. I would have to get a referral from a local doctor for her to be able to go to the regional hospital. I attempted to do that, but they are very offended by the fact that I do not trust their opinion and they do not think she needs a referral. They say that transporting her will make her condition worst. My only option is to take her to a private hospital which will cost a lot of money which I do not have. If I do take her to the private hospital, what should I be asking the doctor to make sure she is getting proper care?

Luke,

I don't really by into the "nervous system got affected by stress which cause her to shut down" theory......

It might be true that nothing can be done for her and that, even once the actual cause is found, a stay in the hospital will help, but it is not true that "stress" has caused it.....

There is no way to even guess what you should ask a private doctor to do. But, never fear, a private doctor would be able to review your mothers medical records, examine her and come up with a plan of action.

Will this plan of action make your mother's condition better? Impossible to tell. But, from what your have posted, probably not.

Does this make sense to you?

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.