Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I woke up from a nap and my left eye was blurry and foggy. I

I woke up from a...
I woke up from a nap and my left eye was blurry and foggy. I have dry eyes and allergies. I got a little bit of vicks in my eye, but rinsed it out. I was concerned about the cause of my foggy vision in my left eye. I had an eye check up about 6 months ago.
10/22/2013
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
How long ago did this occur?
What position/where did you nap? (head on a desk, in bed etc)
do you have any medical problems or take any medication?
How long did the blurriness last? Is is better now?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

still foggy or film in left eye slept in bed on stomach. I am 41 years old and pretty healthy

I do not believe that his is from the nap itself.
You may have pressed your eye into the pillow, causing corneal warping as well as elevated intraocular pressure. You may also have experienced some sort of issue with your retina (a specific area called the macula) or your optic nerve.
Unfortunately, the only way to figure out exactly what is causing your persistent blurry vision is to have a complete eye exam by an ophthalmologist.
If the vision has remained blurry for any extended period of time (you didn't mention how long ago you took your nap....) you need to consult an Eye MD sooner rather than later.
Does this make sense to you?
I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS

It seems a little better now. I took a nap around 3 hours ago. It is red and burning. Do you think getting vicks vabor rub in eye could cause it? Or could it be just dry eyes.

If it better now I am not as worried as I was a moment ago....
Yes. It could very well be dry eyes. If so, use some artificial tears to lubricate your eyes and it will be better.
Yes. Vicks vapor rub could easily irritate your eyes and cause blurriness....
Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD