Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

After a neck injury I am now having vision issues with eyes

feeling like they are shaking...
After a neck injury I am now having vision issues with eyes feeling like they are shaking. I recently had blood work and B1 is below normal, could this have any affect on my eyes
10/21/2013
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

B1, as far as I know, in and of itself should not cause issues with your eyes feeling like they are shaking.

Dr. Rick :

Does things you look at shake back and forth or are you having more of a sensation that your eyelids/eyes are twitching?

Customer:

It feels like the eyes shaking, I was getting blurry vision for a while but that has gotten better. I am on synthrioid from having thyroid removed also.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, I think you might have two things going on at once.

Dr. Rick :

The shaking is most likely caused by myokymia; the blurry vision may be from a combination of a couple of things: Dry eyes, allergies and blepharitis.

Customer:

The blurry vision is no longer an issue and it was more like in evening I could not focus. What causes myokymia?

Dr. Rick :

Here is some information on myokymia:

Dr. Rick :

Ok, then we will not worry about the blurry vision, unless you want me to give you the information on that too....It is easy enough to attach it just for you to look at if you want....

Dr. Rick :

The most likely cause of your symptoms is called myokymia. Myokymia is an involuntary, local twitching of a few muscle fibers in the body of a muscle. This twitching, if it occurs in a limb, is not strong enough to actually move a joint but can be felt and sometimes seen as an area of quivering.

Myokymia commonly involves the eyelids and muscles around the orbit. It often appears and resolves for no apparent reason and has not been linked to any underlying significant pathology. What causes myokymia? Studies have shown that it is associated with anxiety, stress, lack of good sleep, high caffeine intake and the use of some drugs.

The best way to treat myokymia is to get more sleep, decrease caffeine intake and decrease stress. The good news is that myokymia is not a sign of serious underlying pathology and often resolves on its own.

Here is an excellent article on this topic:

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1213160-overview

Customer:

A neck injury would in no way affect eyes right? I was thinking maybe stress from the injury ,but had no idea.

Dr. Rick :

That depends on the neck injury. Things like that can affect your pupil size etc, but normally don't cause the symptoms you are reporting.

Dr. Rick :

Stress, however, can do it.....

Customer:

Ok thanks, ***** ***** degreed engineer but have had hard time concentrating on simple math , forgetting alot of simple stuff and then the eye thing came and it was pretty confusing

Dr. Rick :

I have the same problem with math ;)

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like your eyes are OK though....

Dr. Rick :

Wouldn't hurt to see an ophthalmologist just to be 110% sure....

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

lol the math is one thing ,but movies and music i never forget that was when I got scared :) yea been stressful year , ill try lower stress see what happens

Customer:

yea i got it thanks

Dr. Rick :

Sounds like a good plan. Take care.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer:

you to

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD