Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

My son had a bike accident and has/had a huge hematoma on

My son had a bike accident and has/had a huge hematoma on his forehead. His left eye below is very bruised purple and swollen. He can slightly open it. He was released from the hospital yesterday after observation for a concussion. He says now that his bruised eye sees a little more yellow than it should be. It adds a yellow tint. Is this part of the bruising process or something more serious? It just happened Wednesday night?
Thank you!
Stacy
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Did he get the eye examined by an eye doctor at the hospital?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Apart from the yellow tint, has he got any other eye symptoms such as blurring of vision?

Customer:

No he did not get examined by an eye doctor. The ER doctor examined it using a black light and said everything looked fine at the time. No serious blurring of vision. He says its a litle blurry when he looks at lights.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Seeing a yellowish tint is not a routine feature of bruising. A bruise would usually takecabout 1 to 2 weeks to disappear depending on the size of the bleed. It changes color from dark red to purple to greenish before it disappears.

Customer:

Ok, so what do you think the issue might be?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Blurry around lights is either due to pooling of tears or due to a corneal edema. However the symptom should disappear once the signs resolve. Do get his eye examined by an eye doctor if the bruise persists beyond 2 weeks or the blurring around lights persists beyond that. In the meanwhile put lubricating eye drops such as Refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop 4 times a day .

Customer:

Thank you!! My son says thank you and HI! :-)

Dr. A.S. Desai :

He is a brave boy, I must say! Ask him to take lots of rest and get well soon. His bruise should be gone within a week or so. God bless!

Customer:

Thank you!

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.Thank you and best wishes.It was a pleasure to have answered this question.Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist