Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Thank you for your information. After the macular pucker

Thank you for your information...
Thank you for your information. After the macular pucker surgery, will I be able to actually see as before? The macular condition will be gone,
but will need I time to heal; at what point do I see a optometrist?
Will I be able to drive? I have never experienced elective surgery and am 65 years old. I am afraid of loosing my eye sight ; but the eye is question is getting weaker. My surgery is scheduled for the end of the month.
I have never had a migraine headache and my doctor has not mentioned that issue. He did say there would be a sensibility to light and a chance for infection. Should I be taking an antibiotic in advance of the surgery? This surgery is beginning to sound worse that the pucker. Molly
10/8/2013
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

You may not get back to perfect 20/20 vision after the surgery (although I've had it happen in a number of cases) but your vision should be much better, not only on what you can see on the eye chart but by having much less (hopefully no) distortion.

Dr. Rick :

I would suggest you not see an optometrist at all and continue to follow up with your retina doctor or a general ophthalmologist.....

Dr. Rick :

It will take a variable amount of time to heal after the surgery. What vision you have six months post op is probably the best you can expect to get....

Dr. Rick :

This has nothing to do with migraines...no worries there.

Dr. Rick :

You do not need pre or post op oral antibiotics. Infection etc is a risk in every surgery, even if it is only to remove a hang nail :), that is why your surgeon told you about it.

Dr. Rick :

Molly, only you and your retina surgeon can decide if the surgery, and the risks thereof, are worse than leaving things alone. From what we have discussed I think surgery is the way to go.

Dr. Rick :

I wish you the very best. Let me know how things turn out.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick says:
11:34 AM
11:35 AM
11:36 AM
11:37 AM
11:37 AM
11:38 AM
11:39 AM
11:39 AM
11:40 AM
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS

I had the surgery for macular pucker last week. Still have blurred vision
in that eye and a large bubble or air pocket. Dr. was a little
disappointed that the vision was so poor. He said there was blood in
the eye from the surgery and that in time the eye would absorb it and the
gas bubble. I go back in 2 weeks. Thanks for your help.

Molly,
Your surgeon is correct....the blood will absorb over the next few weeks.
When the bubble goes away your vision should improve some, although the blood may still limit your vision for a bit.
I'm glad to hear you are doing better.
Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you in the future.
Have a good week :)
Dr. Rick MD FACS

I had the macular surgery last week. Vision is still very blurry. The
doctor said it was loose blood vessels that would soon be absorbed into the
eye. I could see better before the surgery but he said to give it a couple
of weeks. I have another appointment. The retina is in tact and the gas
bubble is gone. Vision is still too blurry to drive. Very discouraging.
Molly

Molly,
I tell patients that the vision they have 6 months after this type of surgery is the vision they can expect.
You are only a week out -- Patience, Grasshopper.
Do not despair.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD