Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

My mother is 73 years old and needs cataract surgery. She is

being offered an option for...
My mother is 73 years old and needs cataract surgery. She is being offered an option for the Femto Cataract Surgery option vs the conventional cataract surgery.
There is of course an added cost to the Femto Cataract vs the Conventional Surgery.
Any recommendation on this
Femto Cataract vs Conventional Surgery. Pros and Cons
10/5/2013
eyemd45
eyemd45, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
eyemd45 : Cataract surgery is one of the most common surgeries performed. The Femtosecond laser is a new and exciting technology that can assist with certain parts of cataract surgery. The advantage of the laser is that consistent and reliable incisions in the lens capsule can be done. This, in turn, increases the likelihood of an optimal refractive result following the procedure. This being said, traditional cataract surgery also offers excellent results. My advice would be to opt for the Femto procedure only if a multifocal lens is to be implanted. Other co-morbid conditions, such as Fuch's Endothelial Dystrophy, would make me leans towards the potential benefits of the newer technology. The downside to the Femto procedure is the added cost and often an added length of time for the procedure itself.
eyemd45
eyemd45
eyemd45