Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Rick I am considering pinguecula removal using the following

Hi Dr. Rick I am considering...
Hi Dr. Rick
I am considering pinguecula removal using the following doctor: Dr. Hovanesian. They use a technique of an autograft or an amniotic membrane transplant to cover excised conjunctiva and glue it down with fibrin until it heals. I have perpetual redness in the eye and sometimes the pinguecula can be rather annoying/irritating when it dries up.
http://www.harvardeye.com/procedures/pterygium.html
10/2/2013
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I am familiar with both of these techniques, as well as others, used in the surgical management of pterygium and pinguecula.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you are in good hands and either technique will serve you well.

Customer:

Really? I'm very happy to hear that.

Dr. Rick :

You do know, however, that pinguecula sometimes have the nasty habit of growing back with a vengeance when you try to cut them off and you can end up with something much worse the the redness you started out with, right?

Customer:

I did hear about that... why is that?

Dr. Rick :

I've used many different techniques when dealing with pinguecula over the last two decades....conj autograft takes more time since you have to harvest the conjunctivia

Dr. Rick :

That is just the nature of these beasts.....they don't like it when we cut on them....

Customer:

Okay... so I do have a pinguecula and honestly, i could live with it, it's not terribly noticeable to anyone other than myself, haha...

Customer:

but i went to an opthamologist and he recommended i take steroid eye drops, which i took... for about 3 months

Dr. Rick :

This doesn't happen every time but that is why bare sclera techinque is not used a lot anymore. Conj autograft and amniotic membrane graft, along with mitomycin C have all come along to deal with this issue

Dr. Rick :

It that is the case, I would have to say you should spend you money on:

Dr. Rick :

1. Giving me a nice bonus after you accept :)

Customer:

lol

Dr. Rick :

2. A vacation to somewhere exotic with your favorite girl or sig other.

Customer:

lol!

Dr. Rick :

The risk is real and you have to be happy if things go bad......because they can. And do.

Customer:

well... i have some really bad, abnormal vascularization nasally

Customer:

that bugs me because it is super red in the morning at night, and at random times of the day

Dr. Rick :

It is up to you. The techniques you discuss work great in many cases.......but not all...

Customer:

okay... what is the recovery time on these procedures

Dr. Rick :

If you just having the surgery to get rid of some redness, I'd say not to do it.

Customer:

and if i have the choice to go with autograft or amniotic membrane which would you recommend?

Dr. Rick :

Also stay away from that "eye brite" guy online......that surgery is butchery in my opinion.

Customer:

haha i read your previous chat on that

Customer:

which is why i signed up to ask you about Dr. Hovanesian, i think he is well known

Dr. Rick :

amniotic membrane. That way you don't disturb as much of your own conjunctiva....

Dr. Rick :

You don't have to be well known to do this type of surgery. I was doing it as a first year resident in training ;)

Dr. Rick :

It's not rocket science....

Customer:

lol

Customer:

what does the recovery time look like?

Dr. Rick :

So. I hope I've been able to give you some points to ponder.

Dr. Rick :

Recovery is quick. Back to your normal activities the next day. Swimming in 5 days. Might have increased redness for 6 months

Customer:

Okay... well, thanks Dr. Rick!

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. I wish you the best

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD