Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I'm a pharmacist and I gave a vaccine which had a

retractable needle and somehow when...
I'm a pharmacist and I gave a vaccine which had a retractable needle and somehow when the vaccine was done and thee needle popped back into the syringe something splashed on me. Not sure if it was blood or vaccine and I think a miniscule amount got in my eye. I washed it out within 5 min. It didn't burn or anything and I'm not totally sure if anything did get in my eye. The patient is a 70 year old married man. I didn't know what to say afterwards. I didn't want to offemd but now I'm very scared I could have gotten something like hep or hiv. Is it likely to have gotten one of those?
10/2/2013
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
From what you have posted it is extremely unlikely that you contacted Hepatitis,HIV or any other disease from this event.
I would say that, in my professional opinion, there is a 99.997% chance that you are perfectly OK and have nothing to worry about.
(nothing in a physicians life is 100%...but this comes really, really close....)
So. What is the take home message? I'd not worry about this at all.
Make sense to you?
I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD