Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Pls doctor i need your help how can i reduce the reduce the

redness of my eyes by...
pls doctor i need your help how can i reduce the reduce the redness of my eyes by natural means and als reduce the size of it aswell..
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/27/2013
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Dr. Dan B. :

Hello and thanks for your question. Can I assume by you saying you've not tried any method so far that you've not used any tear drops that contain a redness reliever or a get-the-red-out chemical in them?

Dr. Dan B. :

Also, do you have any of the following symptoms: burning, tearing, foreign-body sensation or grittiness, itching, light-sensitivity, decreased vision, mattering or caking of your eyelashes in the morning, or discharge?

Customer:

no at all doctor. and have not taking in drops that contain a redness reliever

Dr. Dan B. :

Do you have any medical problems like thyroid dysfunction? Do you wear contact lenses?

Customer:

nope doctor

Customer:

and i need it to reduce in size

Dr. Dan B. :

Since you don't seem to have any predisposing factors that would indicate a reason for redness, and don't wear contact lenses (which can irritate the eyes), I am not concerned that there is anything serious going on. How long has this redness been going on?

Customer:

yeh getting to 14 yrs now

Dr. Dan B. :

And I assume that the redness is like red lines or cracks on a sidewalk or is it confluent patches of redness?

Customer:

redness is like red lines exactly

Dr. Dan B. :

Okay, the most common cause for this redness is because there is some sub-clinical dry eye. I would recommend beginning to use artificial tears 4x/day, everyday, for at least 3-4 weeks; just not the kind that says get the red out.

Dr. Dan B. :

Let me elaborate...

Dr. Dan B. :

The most common reason for the eyes to be causing these symptoms is due to a dry eye, also called a dysfunctional tear film syndrome.

The front of your eyes has a layer of tears coating it called the tear film (this layer of tears is different from the tears you produce when you cry or have an irritation in your eye). The tear film normally provides a healthy environment for the front of the eye (the cornea and conjunctiva) and also contributes significantly to clear vision. When the tear film is unstable or unhealthy (there are many reasons why this can be so, which I will get to) it becomes dysfunctional and can produce uncomfortable symptoms and blurry vision. This is called a dysfunctional tear film.

People with a dysfunctional tear film can have multiple different symptoms ranging from redness, dull aching or pressure, sharp or stabbing pain, morning tearing, burning, and often eyelash mattering to tearing, stinging, itching, burning, a gritty/foreign-body senstation or just intermittent vision fluctuations. Their symptoms sometimes get better as the day progresses or they can often times worsen throughout the day, but they can get intermittent blurring when they use their eyes heavily in activities such as reading, watching TV, computer use or driving.

A dysfunctional tear film can be due to many different factors. Different medicines such as psychiatric medicines, antihistamines, cold medicines and others can contribute to a dysfunctional tear film. Allergies in the eyes can also contribute (and or make worse). Some people have an innate deficiency in making their own tears (these people may also have other dry mucus membranes, such as their mouth, nasal passages, or genitalia). Any kind of eye surgery can actually cause and/or worsen this Many people have an inflammation in the eyelids called blepharitis which causes the tear film that is supposed to coat the front of the eye to not function as well, and then the eyes dry out.

Dr. Dan B. :

The first-line treatment for this is the consistent use of artificial tears 3-4x/day, everyday, for at least 3-4 weeks, before tapering off to a frequency that is necessary to keep the symptoms treated. Because there can be a number of different reasons for a dysfunctional tear film, if this isn't improving the redness, then I would recommend going to see an ophthalmologist to determine the precise causes of your redness to have these treated specifically. Does this make sense/

Dr. Dan B. :

?

Customer:

what about using water to wash the eyes

Customer:

hello

Dr. Dan B. :

While, generally, using water to wash the eyes is fine, if you're splashing an excessive amount of water in the eyes, it can be irritating and cause the eyes to be red.

Dr. Dan B. :

Washing around the eyes with water, with the eyes closed, should be just fine.

Customer:

so which procedure it best for me doctor

Dr. Dan B. :

I would start with just the artificial tears, 4x/day, everyday for 3-4 weeks, then if it doesn't improve, then I would see your ophthalmologist.

Customer:

ok doctor what about the other problem

Dr. Dan B. :

By swelling do you mean swelling of the eyelids and skin around the eyes?

Customer:

yea sir

Dr. Dan B. :

I would recommend using cool compresses 3-4x/day as well (you can time it to coincide with the artificial tear use). But if this doesn't improve by the same time frame, you need to have an ophthalmologist's evaluation regarding possible medical causes of eye swelling.

Customer:

do we have a meds for that

Dr. Dan B. :

Is there redness, tenderness, or itching of the eyelids?

Customer:

do we have a meds for that

Dr. Dan B. :

I need to know whether you have redness, tenderness, or itching of the eyelid skin.

Customer:

yea i have redness

Dr. Dan B. :

Then you could use 1% hydrocortisone ointment (can be bought OTC) on the red eyelid skin twice daily. If this doesn't improve after a couple of weeks, this needs to be evaluated by the ophthalmologist.

Customer:

what about when the eye ball is big and need to reduce iot

Dr. Dan B. :

By big do you mean it is prominent? Sticking out of the orbit prominently? In other words, a lot of the whites of the eyes are visible?

Dr. Dan B. :

Are you there?

Customer:

yes i am here

Dr. Dan B. :

Customer:

yea

Dr. Dan B. :

There is no medicine that can fix this. Based on everything you've told me I suspect you may have a thyroid dysfunction. This can cause the eyes to bulge, the eyelids / skin to be puffy and the eyes to be red. You need to see both your ophthalmologist and your primary care doctor to determine if this is the case and needs to be treated medically.

Customer:

ok thank u

Dr. Dan B. :

you bet.

Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!

Customer:

what about the pupis aswell..

Dr. Dan B. :

What is a pupis?

Customer:

pupils of the eye

Dr. Dan B. :

If they are large it may indicate dysfunction of the optic nerves, but likely there is nothing wrong with just having naturally larger pupils. Either way, this is something the ophthalmologist needs to examine to see if there is anything wrong with it. There's no drop you can buy OTC that will make the pupils shrink just for the sake of shrinking them.

Customer:

ok docor

Customer:

thanks for ya adice

Dr. Dan B. :

My pleasure. Good luck to you.

Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.

Customer:

did we talk about the swelling of it

Dr. Dan B. :

The enlargement of your pupils?

Customer:

nope the swelling of the sides

Dr. Dan B. :

The swelling of the sides of what?

Customer:

of the eye bags both the upper and lower

Dr. Dan B. :

Yes, that it was I was referring to when I said, "Then you could use 1% hydrocortisone ointment (can be bought OTC) on the red eyelid skin twice daily. If this doesn't improve after a couple of weeks, this needs to be evaluated by the ophthalmologist."

Customer:

yea i mean when the eye bags swells up

Dr. Dan B. :

I know what you mean. I don't know if you're reading what I'm writing. You need to apply cool compresses to these areas several times per day and use 1% hydrocortisone ointment (can be bought OTC) on the red eyelid skin twice daily. If this doesn't improve after a couple of weeks, this needs to be evaluated by the ophthalmologist. But if you have a true thyroid dysfunction I think these measures aren't going to work unless you treat the thyroid problem.

Dr. Dan B. :

I have to step away from my desk now. I hope this has been helpful. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by
pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.