Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have semi frequent (1-2)_times per month extreme headaches

i have semi frequent (1-2)_times per month extreme headaches that cause sharp pains in my lower left abdomen, extreme tightness in my neck,swollen throat area, and extreme eye and head pains. I become very disorientated to where I basically stumble around, avoiding light, and feeling like my head is going to explode. It feels like I am poisoned. Some times bc powders will help other times they cause me to vomit. It usually starts with a feeling that my stomach just gets twisted and gases rise to my head and expand causing tightness in my neck that evolves into complete torture. It becomes so painful am afraid one day i will have an aneurism. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
What you are describing is constant with severe migraines. I, also, suffer from them and have experienced almost all of the issues you are having.
You should consult with your internal medicine doctor or, if you prefer, a neurologist who specializes in headaches.
Here is some information that you might find interesting on some of the visual symptoms you might also experience:
What you are describing is consistent with ocular migraines, a condition that I not only treat in my office but that I have been dealing with personally for decades.
A typical migraine headache starts with shimmering lights, often times they surround a blurry area or have dots or jaggedly lines associated with them. They tend to progressively increase in intensity and sometimes march across the visual field causing difficulty with reading. Many times this is then accompanied by nausea, irritability, sensitivity to bright lights and/or loud noises. After the onset of the lights (called scintillating scotomas), the headache typically starts and the light show tends to progressively go away.
Many people can have this migraine phenomenon WITHOUT the headache; it is called an acephalgic migraine. Some people even start having these late in life, or may have had a few much earlier in life that behaved differently and haven't had any for decades and then begin to have them; this is not uncommon. A family history of migraines is often present as well.
This is nothing to worry about. It is not a sign of a more serious underlying condition, brain tumor or anything like that. If the episodes become so frequent that they are bothersome there are medicines that can be used to decrease their frequency or stop an episode once it has started.
I, personally, have been suffering from this condition for almost 30 years. I almost never got the headaches after the visual effects.
Does this make sense to you?
I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HI TY FOR RESPONSE. I AM AWARE OF THOSE TYPES OF MIGRAINES, HOWEVER THESE FEEL MORE LIKE THEY ORIGINATE IN MY STOMACH AND WORK UPWARDS. I THOUGHT MY ? WAS MORE ORIENTATED FOR A GASTROENTEROLOGIST/MIGRAINE PHYSICIAN RATHER THAN EYE BUT APPRECIATE YOUR RESPONSE

Daniel,
Glad I could be of assistance.
Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Have a good weekend :)