Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

My eyelids just feel heavy...

my eyelids just feel heavy...
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/25/2013
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Dr. Dan B. :

Hello and thanks for your question. Have your eyes been bothering you otherwise recently? Any redness, tearing, burning, itching, foreign-body or gritty sensation, light sensitivity, pain, and/or decreased vision?

Dr. Dan B. :

Are you there?

Customer:

right before this started, I felt almost like I had sand in my eyes one morning...that want away..but since then I am just so conscious of the lids they feel heavy and droopy...I even stopped wearing mascara cause I thought that was making my lids heavy...also this is both eyes and not red or burning...occasional tearing from allergies...and some light sensitivity..

Dr. Dan B. :

Oh, there you are. Let me read your reply.

Dr. Dan B. :

Do you wear contact lenses?

Customer:

had successful cataract surgery 18 mo ago in one eye..no contacts or glasses.

Dr. Dan B. :

Have you been using anything to help with the grittiness, tearing, or light sensitivity? Any eye drops? Cool compresses?

Customer:

tried allergy drops, that helped with tearing...sunglasses for light...but nothing else...I wanted to ask my dr. but that is not going to happen...

Customer:

what is pterygium and blephanritis??

Dr. Dan B. :

Okay, thanks. One of the most common reasons for the eyes to feel heavy like this, especially in the face of symptoms indicative of inflammation (grittiness, tearing, light sensitivity) is a dry eye or dysfunctional tear film. There are a dozen reasons why someone may have this, none of which are usually serious, but can cause the lids to feel heavy and droopy. I would recommend using artificial tears 4x/day for the next 3-4 weeks, cool compresses a few times/day to see if that helps this issue. If not, then you may require further measures to help with inflammation that may be causing this.

Dr. Dan B. :

A pterygium is a growth of the conjunctiva that grows over the cornea. Blepharitis is inflammation in the eyelids which is very common. Why do you ask? Were you told you have these?

Customer:

no, I read about this when I found you...is this permanent...could it be like old eye makeup in the glands or something...

Dr. Dan B. :

Blepharitis is usually not permanent--it can be treated and in some people it is episodic and goes away. In other people, it is a chronic thing and needs daily treatment.

Dr. Dan B. :

I'm sorry. I must step away from my computer for about 10-15 minutes. I promise I will be right back to continue this. Please bear with me. If, however, you find that this information has been satisfactory, then...

Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!

Customer:

Thank you Dr. you have been very kind...

Dr. Dan B. :

Okay, I'm back. Did you have any other further comments or questions?

Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.