Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Must I take Tropicamide 1% for 2 days prior to cataract

Must I take Tropicamide 1% for 2 days prior to cataract surgery? I wasn't able to get it at any pharmacy in Boston -- it has to be ordered and I'd get it MONDAY morning, tomorrow, my cataract surgery date, for 1pm.
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I would not really worry about that. Tropicamide 1% is used to make your pupil larger.

Dr. Rick :

You can just put in a drop when you get the tropicamide from the pharmacist in the morning.

Dr. Rick :

In my opinion, even if you were to miss using the tropicamide completely, it would not be any big deal as you surgeon can give you drops to dilate you eyes just prior to your surgery. Also, if for some reason your pupil doesn't dilate very well, it is a relatively easy thing for your surgeon to deal with and/or fix this issue during surgery.

Dr. Rick :

I deal successfully with small pupils all the time during eye surgery. It, really, is no big deal for an experienced ophthalmologist.

Dr. Rick :

So. What it the take home message? Do not worry that you were unable to use the tropicamide as directed. It will not, in my professional opinion, make any difference at all.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : I would not really worry about that. Tropicamide 1% is used to make your pupil larger.
Dr. Rick : You can just put in a drop when you get the tropicamide from the pharmacist in the morning.
Dr. Rick : In my opinion, even if you were to miss using the tropicamide completely, it would not be any big deal as you surgeon can give you drops to dilate you eyes just prior to your surgery. Also, if for some reason your pupil doesn't dilate very well, it is a relatively easy thing for your surgeon to deal with and/or fix this issue during surgery.
Dr. Rick : I deal successfully with small pupils all the time during eye surgery. It, really, is no big deal for an experienced ophthalmologist.
Dr. Rick : So. What it the take home message? Do not worry that you were unable to use the tropicamide as directed. It will not, in my professional opinion, make any difference at all.
Dr. Rick : Does this make sense to you?
Dr. Rick : I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Good luck tomorrow. I am sure you will do just fine. :)
I was just thinking about you today and wondering if your cataract surgery came off without a hitch.
Did you find that it really didn't make any difference that you didn't get to use your tropicamide as directed, or did your surgeon blow a gasket?
I hope you are doing well and your vision is much improved.
Have a good day.
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The doctor calmly said, "Oh, I'll dilate the eye this morning." So I guess it didn't matter too much that I didn't get the tropicamide 1%.

However, I had somehow developed a slight hemorrhage on the very eye to be operated on, and the doctor canceled my surgery. I respect his judgement, of course. It's rescheduled for 10/14. I look forward to it. I do not have the faintest idea what caused the hemorrhage. It's all cleared up now. I hope that I do not feel the needle that supposedly freezes the eye before the surgery, that I learned about. That is the only thing bothering me now. Ha. Thanks for your concern. Christine

Hi Christine,
You won't even feel the needle....no worries there :)
Good luck on the 14th.
:)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much, Dr. Rick. You were very, very helpful to me in your replies.
I had the eye surgery 10/14. I got the Restore Lens in which vision for distance is corrected as well as close-up and in-between. However I still cannot see well at all for close-up, so I am disappointed about that, and it's a month later (11/11). The doctor said he will make the lens for my left eye stronger so that it "complements" the right, and I will therefore apparenty be able to see close-up. (I'd rather be able to see close-up in each eye, frankly). The doctor had said he could make an adjustment, but only talked about how he would make the left eye lens and apparently making an adjustment of the right eye lens is something he is shying away from. Do you know about adjusting a lens and what is entailed for the patient -- is it sort of like having the surgery again? Thanks so much.

Also, on the day after surgery, when i went in to be looked at by my doctor, immediately after tests were done for my vision my eye hurt so badly that I got faint and nauseated and had to lie down. The pain persisted all day, and I finally took Tylenol #2, which alleviated the pain mostly. After that, the pain did not return. Why do you think this happened? I am scheduled for surgery of the left eye on Monday 11/25.

Thank you, ***** *****! Christine Murray

Christine,
The lens inside your eye already can not be adjusted.....it would have to be exchanged for another one.
You may have had a scratch on the front of your eye that caused the pain.
You should mention it to your surgeon but it should not cause any problem with your second eye on November 25.
I wish you the very best on your upcoming cataract surgery.
Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick - When I pushed the rating, it said, "You have already rated....; if you enter it again, you will be charged again." Do you know how this works? Is that how you get paid only? I wonder what the amount is that is charged.

Thanks.

Christine

Christine,
That is correct. If you give me positive feedback (excellent is the most fun one to push ;) you will be charged the same amount you were before.
The other thing you could do is give a bonus, for an amount you choose.
And, yes, other then trying to get my wife a second job at night, that is the only way I get paid ;)
Dr Rick
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As soon as I figure out how to give a bonus, I'll send it!

Christine

Thanks :)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you.

Christine

My pleasure.