Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

What causes a straight line to look wavy? I am recovering

What causes a straight line to look wavy?
I am recovering from surgery for a detached retina with an increased cataract due to surgery. Recovery was fine, but last night I noticed that straight is now wavy. I will see the specialist tomorrow, need to know what this may be and should I wait until tomorrow?
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I am a retina surgeon.

Dr. Rick :

How long ago was your surgery? Do you know what type of surgery was done?

Dr. Rick :

What happens if you close your un-operated eye? Are straight lines still wavy? How about if you look with only your non-operated eye?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I will switch to Q&A format. This format works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Debi,
Dr. Rick says:
9:45 AM
9:45 AM
I am a retina surgeon.
9:45 AM
9:46 AM Customerhas entered this chat!
9:46 AM Customerhas stepped out of this chat.
9:46 AM Customerhas entered this chat!
Dr. Rick says:
9:46 AM
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Wavy line only in left eye with the repaired tear.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Non-operated eye is fine, only wavy in left operated eye

Debi,
Sorry about the issues with the chat today :(
Well, that can be caused by a number of issues.
It may be from your growing cataract, which will be solved once the cataract is removed.
It might also be due to changes/damage to a part of your retina called the macula. If this is the case, depending on what the macular problem is (edema, membrane formation (from PVR, epiretinal membrane, retinal folds, etc) it may, or may not, be able to be fixed. Depending on how long ago your surgery was done, it could also be a post-op issue that could improve with time.
The good news? Your retina surgeon should be able to figure out what is causing your symptoms when she examines you tomorrow.
From what you have posted, I feel this problem can wait until your appointment tomorrow.
Does this make sense to you?
I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS