Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I'm 53 and had a brain tumor removed when i was 20 which was

not cancerous. Scar tissue has...
I'm 53 and had a brain tumor removed when i was 20 which was not cancerous. Scar tissue has caused my seizures to continue. On Monday I had a seizure and hit my eye. It caused me to have a black eye and the white around my iris had a red spot. I can see good out of that eye but however the red area seems to increased. What is causing that? Is that serious?
9/18/2013
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Good news. You will be OK.

Dr. Rick :

You have experienced a sub conjunctival hemorrhage, a common event that occurs to many people.

In the vast majority of cases, sub conjunctival hemorrhage is nothing to worry about. It is usually not a sign of any serious condition but rather is just a small broken blood vessel in the conjunctiva that looks much worse than it really is.

No treatment is necessary. Think of a subconjunctival hemorrhage as a bruise. The reason it looks so red (some people say it looks like a piece of raw meat) is that the skin on your eye is very thin so the underlying blood shows through easily. On your arm, for instance, a bruise looks blue/purple because the overlying skin is thick, blocking the red color of the blood.

Like a bruise elsewhere a subconjunctival hemorrhage will slowly go away over the course of a couple of weeks. It may spread around the globe some and change colors as it clears. This is nothing to be concerned about.

Dr. Rick :

In your case, we know what caused it: The trauma of hitting your eye during your seizure. Since your vision is OK, you are not seeing any flashes of lights or things floating around in your vision, you should be OK.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick says:
9:02 AM
9:02 AM
Good news. You will be OK.
9:03 AM
9:04 AM
9:04 AM
Does this make sense to you?
9:04 AM
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Christi,
Stop using the visine. It will not "get this red out" and will just irritate your eye.
Just tell your friends that the other guy looks worse :)
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD