Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hi, my wife has been experiencing dizziness, especially

my wife has been experiencing dizziness, especially when she moves her eyes or looks suddenly in another direction. It passes but leaves her a bit nauseous.

Her primary care physician has her undergoing re-balance therapy which she just recently began.

Hopefully it will help.

Our questions are: 1) Is there something she can take to reduce the nausea/dizziness such as an anti-vertigo medication. And, 2) Could this condition be related to hearing loss.

Thank you for any helpful information you can provide.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Yes. There is a medication that she could try. It is called meclizine and is taken in a dosage of 25 to 100mg per day in divided portions.

Dr. Rick :

Antivert is another good medication.

Dr. Rick :

There are many conditions that can cause dizziness and hearing loss. The only way to sort them out is a with a complete evaluation by your doctor, which sounds like your wife has already had. If things don't get better in a bit, you might want to consult with an ENT specialist.

Dr. Rick :

I'm not sure that I would rush off to "re-balance therapy" until after an exhaustive search for treatable causes has returned negative results.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick says:
1:15 PM
1:16 PM Customerhas entered this chat!
1:16 PM Customerhas stepped out of this chat.
Dr. Rick says:
1:17 PM
1:17 PM
Antivert is another good medication.
1:20 PM
1:20 PM
1:21 PM
Does this make sense to you?
1:21 PM

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS