Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I got a black eye after being hit by an elbow whilst playing

I got a black eye after being hit by an elbow whilst playing basketball.... how does one speed up the recovery of a black eye?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer: yes
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Cold compresses does help symptomatically but it would mot speed up the healing.

Customer:

yes

Customer:

is there any thing that i can do to speed it up

Dr. A.S. Desai :

A black eye occurs due to accumalation of blood clot around the eye. It will take its natural course and get resolved in 7 to 10 days . Unfortunately no medicines would hasten the healing .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

One has to wait for he blood clot to resolve. As it heals it is likely to change color from black to purple to green before it finally disappears.

Customer:

ok, timing on that?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If there is too much of swelling around the eye, then you can take a combination of diclofenac 50 mg +paracetamol 500 mg , 1 tablet twice a day for 3 to 4 days. However this will only reduce the swelling and not the black eye.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Normally it takes about 5 to 10 days for the clot to resolve if it is small. A large black ye all around the eye would take about 2 weeks to disappear completely.

Customer:

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX compresses help?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No, it would be better to continue with the cold compresses.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there anything else that I can answer for you?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

To be specific, warm compresses help only in acute inflqmmatory lesions of the lids such as blepharitis or a stye. Cold compresses are better for black eye.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Does that answer your question?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you there?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.Thank you and best wishes.It was a pleasure to have answered this question.Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist