Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I was born with amblyopia (lazy eye) in my right eye, for

I was born with amblyopia (lazy eye) in my right eye, for which I wore glasses throughout grade school. I could see fairly well without glasses, so around high school, I stopped wearing them. Now, at age 41, I started having vision problems. I went to an ophthalmologist, who gave me a new prescription, so I am wearing glasses again after 25 years. The new glasses do help me see a lot better. However, when I put them on, my eyes take a second to adjust and when they do I feel them straining as I wear the glasses. When I take the glasses off after a couple hours or so of wearing them it takes my eyes 5-10 minutes to adjust back to not having glasses, this leads to slightly blurry vision for the first 5-10 seconds after taking the glasses off. After removing them from a session of an hour or so my eyes are very 'tired' and feel as if they have had a work out... I feel as if this not normal of new glasses; however this is my first pair in a long while, so I'm not as familiar with this situation as someone who has worn glasses for a long time. Any insight would be much appreciated!
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

What is the power of your glasses at present?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you have the prescription for it? If so, could you give the details of it? Are you wearing glasses for distance and near both?

Customer:

My presecription is +.75 in my right eye and -.75 in the left.

Customer:

I don't see object far off as well, so I am nearsighted.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you have to wear your glasses for near work as well?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are the present glasses monofocal/bifocal /progressive glasses?

Customer:

Typically no, but I did notice recently that my eyes can sometimes strain, like when reading the newspaper or a book.

Customer:

monofocal

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I understand that the near vision must be bothering you in recent times as you are setting into presbyopia. Presbyopia is a natural age related phenomenon in which the near point recedes with increasing age.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since you are wearing glasses which correct your distance vision only, I guess the strain which you are experiencing off late is due to the onset of presbyopia ( begins around the age of 40 years in most individuals).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The small minus power in your left eye was probably helping you to overcome the initial phase of presbyopia. Normally presbyopia is corrected with convex(plus) lenses.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The -0.75 D in the left eye probably negated the +1.0D required at 40 years. But this presbyopic correction goes on increasing year after year which is why you have begun to experience eye strain now. I guess it would be better to go for a near correction as well and depending on your requirement you can opt for progressive glasses.

Customer:

I see. I will mention this to my ophthalmologist at my next appointment.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I hope you had a complete eye exam during your visit to the ophthalmologist including the dilated eye exam ( to look at the back of the eye).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there anything else that I can answer for you?

Customer:

Yes, one more question if you don't mind.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please do go ahead and ask.....

Customer:

When I am not wearing my glasses, I will sometimes experience some dizziness. The best way I can explain it is I feel a bit disoriented as a result of my vision. Even though I can see objects far off, and they are not blurry, it feels as though my eyes are straining to see. Like I'm not really there, but in a dream?

Customer:

And I sometimes feel a bit disoriented. Not sure this is a result of my vision problems.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I don't think that the difference in the power of the two eyes could have been the cause of disorientation ( the difference should be more than 3 dioptres to cause visual problems)

Dr. A.S. Desai :

There are many other conditions which can cause dizziness including ear and cerebellar ( brain) problems.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is one of them. You can discuss this with your ophthalmologist at the next visit.

Customer:

Sounds good. Thank you for your help.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome.