Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Hi, my 4 yr old grandson recently had to have a vision test

Hi, my 4 yr old grandson recently had to have a vision test for school. Didn't do well the first time (acted silly, before it was done). Went back a week later and he finally told his mom "I can't see it". Took him for an eye exam and it was determined he was +475 in one eye and +400 in the other. His mother was in there with him and saw (heard) the difference responses with out the corrected lenses and with. So, he gets the glasses yesterday and he says he can see, he is touching things like they look "different". He wears them just fine. They come home, Dad says he wants a second opinion, doesn't think he needs glasses! plays just fine with his cousins while wearing the glasses, no problems. Spends the night with his grand parents (dad's parents) She looks thru his glasses and says "aren't these too strong for him" His dad did the same thing. By the way, none of his family wears glasses. All of our family does, including his mother since she was 8 months.(like anyone can look thru someone elses glass and can answer that question). Now, he says he can't see out of them and that his head hurts. (never complained of a headache before, although I know while you are adjusting to new glasses, this is not uncommon!

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I felt it was important to give the background for my actual question. Here it is: How can we get them to understand the need for the glasses and to encourage him to wear them?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I can absolutely understand how difficult it must have been to accept that such a young child would need glasses.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is not only difficult for the child but also for the family members.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The best way to make his father understand the situation is to make him understand that some children are born with these kind of errors such as your grandson's and is called as hypermetropia/hyperopia.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In hyperopia either the eyeball is much smaller than normal or the cornea is much flatter than normal resulting in the image forming behind the retina. A corrective convex lens(plus glasses) can bring the image to fall on the retina. However lack of treatment within the treatable age of 10 years can result in permanent reduction of vision called as amblyopia.

Customer:

My grandson has never complained of not being able to see somethings, but we understand that children don't know any different unless they have been able to see better, and it is suddenly worse or have worn glasses before. Dad wants technically a third opinion (since he had the vision test at the drs office and then the eye exam) and says that he will not wear the glasses until then.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thankfully the child has learnt to accept the glasses without much fuss ( it is quite difficult to get the children to wear glasses). As he grows older the power will reduce gradually and he might or might not need glasses later in adult life.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Children do not complain of blurring of vision due to the accomadative power of the eye which negates the hyperopia to some extent.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is very important for the child to wear glasses at this stage so as to prevent amblyopia. Amblyopia is a condition in which the brain does not accept any further improvement of vision beyond a certain level. Amblyopia will not set if the eye is corrected at the right age with the right glasses.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I guess this should make his father understand the importance of glasses and why they have to be worn by the child.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there anything else that I can answer for you?

Customer:

I think that will do it. I do appreciate your help and hopefully I have a good enough explanation to get he and his family to understand. Uninformed people can be very difficult to deal with. And I want the best for my grandson to help him be the BEST that he can be. He really is very bright. Thank you!

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I am sure he must be a very bright child. May God bless him. You are truly a caring grandmother who wishes only the best for her grandson.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist