Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have all the symptoms, black floaters that are increasing,

lightening flashes in the corner...
I have all the symptoms, black floaters that are increasing, lightening flashes in the corner of my left eye. A few months ago I had it in the right eye and I was referred to hospital to see the ophthalmologist. He put me on a machine to look at the eye and this did hurt a little at the time. He said it was not a detached retina, was macular and slight signs of cataracts appearing, but nothing to worry over and the brain would become used to it.
After a couple of days of having this done I started getting a milky misting coming down over my eye occasionally whish is very annoying, but I am still waiting for my brain to accept it!
Two days ago the lightening began in my left eye and is quite frequent and frightening, but I am reluctant to go back to hospital to get the same result. The floaters are also becoming annoying as they are increasing in both eyes now. Should I be worried or not?
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/14/2013
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .
It is most likely to be due to posterior vitreous detachment ( PVD ).In this condition the thick gel at the back of the eye( called vitreous) gets detached from its surrounding retina . This results in retinal traction which results in the symptom of flashes of light and includes color distortion. Flashes of light may not be prominent in some individuals. Once the vitreous gets detached completely , it may form clumps or strands and cause symptom of floaters such as dark spots, cobweb or thread like strands in the visual field. More often it is not a serious issue and does not require any specific treatment. A routine retina examination needs to be done by an ophthalmologist just to check for the intactness of the retina and to look for any peripheral retinal tears or holes, which if found, can be sealed by lasers. The only concern is that of a remote possibility of a retinal tear extending into a frank retinal detachment, which is characterised by symptoms of sudden increase of flashes or floaters and a curtain or veil falling in the field of vision. This requires urgent treatment by a retinal specialist. This is not a common feature and is more predisposed in myopic and diabetic individuals. You do not seem to be having any of these acute symptoms, so as of now a routine eye exam of the left eye should suffice. PVD can occur suddenly at anytime and is a diagnosis of exclusion and does not show any signs as such on eye examination. What you would need at this stage is a routine eye exam ( not an emergency) to look at the back of the eye. If PVD is confirmed then there is nothing much to be done. It would be best to ignore the floaters after that. Some floaters tend to drift out of visual field too.
Since your right eye had similar symptoms and the retina was found to be intact, it suggests that the left eye too has a PVD .
If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.Thank you and best wishes.
It was a pleasure to have answered this question.Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist