Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

From time to time I smell gasoline and it coming from my…

from time to time I...
from time to time I smell gasoline and it coming from my eyes. has even woke me from sound sleep, can be that strong. when real strong, if my mouth is open can get that taste in mouth. I know it come from the eyes because if I put a tent over nose , order disapates enough not to be detected. if I'm in bed, putting wet clothe over eyes enables me to get some sleep. just had eye ck. dr says he cannot find anything . wife inform me as to how and when this started. four years ago I had cut/wound inside my nose. when to clinic, where P.A. (personal friend so it not in my medical records) instructed me to put this cream inside nose to clear it up. started having reaction, wife went on line and found that cream was to be put on external skin only, strong warning against getting it into open wounds. this is when gas smell started.
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/12/2013
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any other ocular symptoms other than the smell?

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any medical problems or take any medication?

Customer:

good morning , hope you have heard of this , no I do not

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Thank you for that extra information.

Dr. Rick :

I have to tell you that after over two decades of practice that I have never heard of such a thing. Moreover, there is no physical way for the smell to be coming from your eyes, no matter what it seems like when you cover your nose. Now, that being said, there are ways to see if what you believe is actually happening.

Customer:

yes , i take 2 high blood pressure med lisinipril and metoprolol

Customer:

sorry to be slow, never done a live chat before

Dr. Rick :

I would suggest that when you are experiencing this smell that you have an industrial air sampler (like used by OSHA inspectors) take readings around your eyes. If any sort of fumes are present they will be picked up.

Dr. Rick :

That ok... I type fast :)

Customer:

smell comes at different time and places. driving in car, in living room other business places

Dr. Rick :

I believe, however, that the most likely explanation for your symptoms is damage to olfactory nerves. These damaged nerves can cause all sorts of weird smells that are not really there. An ENT doctor might be able to evaluate this for you.

Dr. Rick :

It is possible that putting this cream up in your nose "poisoned" these nerves, leading to what you are experiencing.

Customer:

as we speak, i have had smell

Dr. Rick :

The problem, however, is that there may not be any good treatment if this is, indeed, from nerve damage

Dr. Rick :

That really goes along with my theory.....

Customer:

that what I thought,

Dr. Rick :

Isn't getting old fun :(

Dr. Rick :

Although, I must admit, Grandkids are a good bonus to old age...

Customer:

it not something that I can't live with. Just wanted to see if I could make it go away.

Customer:

hang on wife found name of cream

Dr. Rick :

I'd consult with and ENT doc before giving up.....perhaps there is a pill or treatment...

Dr. Rick :

ok

Customer:

mupirocin 2% ointment

Dr. Rick :

that is a very common antibiotic. I'm not sure what this would do if put inside your nose as I have not ever prescribed it. In reviewing the composition, nothing in the ointment base seems like it would be toxic to nerves inside your nose....

Dr. Rick :

It is used to kill MRSA bacteria in a topical application on wounds, so it can be used on open wounds.

Dr. Rick :

So. What is the take home message? I'd consult with an ENT doctor for a full exam but, it is very possible, that nothing can be done to get rid of these abnormal smells you are experiencing.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

yes, but according to mfgr. there is two different type of this med. one for external and one internal

Dr. Rick :

It is not used orally or by IV. Only topically per my PDR.

Customer:

will see ENT

Dr. Rick :

But you are correct. It should not have been placed up your nose.....

Dr. Rick :

That sounds like a good plan.

Customer:

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP, HAVE A GREAT WEEK.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. You too.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD