How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. A.S. Desai Your Own Question
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 2437
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. A.S. Desai is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Every day I have been dealing with redness under my eyes,

This answer was rated:

Every day I have been dealing with redness under my eyes, they itch, and burn. I have allergies really bad but I have never had this problem until I moved back down to baton rouge. I can't get a break from it. How can i get rid of it?

I'm tired all the time and have no energy.

Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .
Is the redness and itching sensation present only on the skin under the eyes? Does it involve the skin very close to the eyelid margin?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it's only on the lower lid. They seem chapped. It normally where people get bags under their eyes
Thank you for the reply and additional information.
If it is very close to the lid margin then it could be due to blepharitis ( inflammation of the lid) and can be treated with steroid+antibiotic eye ointment(prescription medicine such as tobradex eye ointment for a short period of 15 days, local application once at bedtime). However if the chapping is away from the eyelid margin and not very close to the eye then it could be due to allergic dermatitis/atopic dermatitis/contact dermatitis. The treatment is in the form of steroid cream for local application. Determining the exact cause would be ideal and would require a thorough examination by an ophthalmologist/dermatologist.Such skin lesions can occur due to allergy to cosmetics/soap/contact with certain plants/airborne allergens such as pollen/chemicals in sprays and so on.
Since you have not got the desired relief inspite of taking oral anti-histaminics, it would be better to either consult an ophthalmologist ( as the part involved is close to the eye) or a dermatologist for a prescription of steroid ointment.
In the meanwhile keep the skin moist with the help of face moisturizers ( avoid applying very close to lid margin as it might get absorbed into the eye), apply cool compresses to get relief from itching.Use a hypoallergic soap and avoid use of cosmetics/cosmetic remover.
If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.
Thank you and best wishes.
It was a pleasure to have answered this question.
Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank to so much! Would I be able to get treatment from a nose and throat physician?
You are most welcome!
I don't think that an ENT(ear, nose, throat) doctor would be the right person for this problem. It should be either an ophthalmologist(eye doctor) or a dermatologist( skin specialist).
Dr. A.S. Desai and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you