Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

WOULD LIKE SOME INFORMATION REGARDING INFRA RED RADIATION AND

WOULD LIKE SOME INFORMATION REGARDING INFRA RED RADIATION AND THE EFFECT
ON THE EYE.

ALSO, AVAILABLE NOW EYEWEAR WITH INFRA RED PROTECTIVE, SPECIAL GREEN COLORS.
dO THEY HAVE ANY BENEFICIAL EFFECTS.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

How are you being exposed to infrared radiation? How strong is the source and how many minutes/hours are you exposed per day?

Dr. Rick :

How long has this exposure been going on?

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any eye or vision problems?

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any medical problems or take any medication?

Dr. Rick :

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am not looking for answers to any out of ordinary exposure to IR.

I need general information to normal IR exposure.

Ok. Thank you for that information.

Are you concerned about how this exposure may, or may not, affect your eye, or parts of your eye such as your cornea, retina etc?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am looking for general infrmation of how normal IR effects the healthy eye or damaged eye.

Also,how IR effects peopple with cataracts or glucoma, prior to operation, after operation and long term ?

Are you familiar with special sunglasses with UV + IR protection.

These are lighter versions of welding glasses, used as sunglassses, providing UV and IR protection.

Can I have some information instead further questions ?

George Kux [email protected]

George,

IR from just daily walking around exposure will not harm you. It will not affect glaucoma, it will not affect you before or after cataract or any other eye surgery and it is nothing to worry about.

In my professional opinion special glasses that block IR are a marketing gimmick and serve no purpose in maintaining the health of your eyes.

If you are interested in glasses/sunglasses I would counsel you to just purchase UVA and UVB blocking glasses of high quality. These will do more then enough to help maintain the health of your eyes.

Does this make sense to you?

I realize that this was not the answer you were hoping to hear but it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.
Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three feedback choices, keep this in mind when rating my answer and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.
Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the excellent feedback button so that I can receive credit for my efforts.

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS