How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Tom Your Own Question
Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 264
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. Tom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got a small shard of glass in my eye yesterday and think

This answer was rated:

I got a small shard of glass in my eye yesterday and think it's still in there. What should I do? How urgent is this? Can I wait until tomorrow to see an opthomologist or do I need to head to an emergency room stat?
Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom : Are you available to discuss your question now?

Yes. Sorry for the delay.


Hello Dr. Tom. What is your advice?

Dr. Tom : Since you appear to be off-line and can't respond to this live chat I'll go ahead and give you an opinion. Since you are confident that a piece of glass went into your eye, the most prudent thing for you to do is go to an urgent care facility. The doctors there will be able to examineUnder high magnification to determine if any damage is done and to remove the object. Most urgent care facilities will have an ophthalmologist on call. It will be a much quicker way for you to get to professional care. In most cases, a superficial piece of glass can be removed quite easily with no permanent damage. However left on unattended it can be the source of infection or other problems problems. May I answer anything further for you?

Sorry for the delay. I guess that means an emergency room visit, then, right?

Dr. Tom : Yes, that would be in your best interest. Either an emergency room Or one of the urgent care centers. Either can do a good job for you. It's just most prudent for you to have this possible problem evaluated and And dealt with as soon as practical. Is there any other particular question about this that I can help you with?

Nope. That's it. Many thanks.

Dr. Tom and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you