Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I would like to know if there is a machine that can get me a

better prescription for my contacts...
I would like to know if there is a machine that can get me a better prescription for my contacts and glasses. I have tried like 3 different eye doctors since I started using glasses/contacts like 15 years ago. And I have never had 20/20 vision. I know been nearsighted it's kinda impossible, I also have astigmatism. But I'm currently using glasses and one side is somewhat fussier than the other. The contacts I was on are even worse. I'm just very hard to measure. I don't want to be a pain for the doctors, but I was told that there's a machine that can get me an exact reading. is this true?
9/8/2013
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

yes I am

Dr. A.S. Desai :

There is a machine called Autorefractometer which gives the reading for glasses. But I would not say that it is more accurate than the doctors. It would only give an average of readings which again have to be verified by the doctor . Though I am not sure why you have never had 20/20 vision, I wonder if the astigmatism is irregular ( this is more difficult to be corrected).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you have the prescription for your glasses? If so , could you please type it here?

Customer:

When I was a teenager and discovered I was nearsighted, I wore glasses for like 2 years. From there, I went to using contacts because of the convenience. I was able to get color contacts for a few years. But my second doctor said he could not measure me good if I wanted colors contacts. So I went to a second doctor. He was able to get me color contacts and although I was satisfied I didn't have 20/20

Customer:

every year my eyes kept getting worse

Customer:

and this past year I gave up color in an effort to get a better prescription but it did no good

Customer:

I don't have the exact readings, I don't have a copy of the prescription

Customer:

I know its like -3

Customer:

are you there?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If the astigmatism is not corrected , the vision is unlikely to be 20/20.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Probably contact lenses given to you were only spherical and not toric ( these are given if the astigmatism is more than -1.25D).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The next time you visit your eye doctor , you can ask for correction of the astigmatism. If small , it can be corrected in your glasses with cylindrical lenses. However very small astigmatism can get corrected with spherical contact lenses and you need not go for toric lenses .

Customer:

I do get toric lenses

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok. Sometimes there can be difficulty in getting the correct prescription for astigmatism if the shape of the cornea is not regular. If you do have a high cylinder , then it is better to get evaluated for mild keratoconus.

Customer:

and what is this keratoconus?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Keratoconus is a condition in which the cornea is more conical than others.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Your eye doctor should be able to identify it with the help of keratometry ( done routinely ).

Customer:

I have looked into getting Lasik but my doctor says my retina is at border line as far as the thickness required and I'm scared of the possible complications associated with the surgery

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, the pre-requisite for a good Lasik is to have a healthy retina.

Customer:

so taking this in consideration, I won't be easy to measure right?

Customer:

When I'm getting the test done, it's like it changed right after and I feel like the doctor gets irritated with me

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, if the shape of your cornea is different ( suppose it is more conical than normal), then it can be a bit difficult to get the exact readings.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Your doctor would definitely be in a better position to identify this than a machine . Even if your doctor gets irritated/frustrated for not getting your vision to 20/20, I guess it should not stop you from going back for a repeat test , especially if the vision is not clear with correction.

Customer:

ok thank you for your time and answers! I will look for another doctor perhaps that will be more patience with me

Customer:

are your from India? If so, Namaste!!! and I love Bollywood movies! sorry I just had to say that. I'm a big fan of India

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You can try using lubricating eye drops such as over the counter , preservative free Refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop 4 times a day, for a month. Sometimes these tearfilm issues can cause a mild blurring of vision.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Namaste!

Customer:

ok I use a ton of eye drops because my eyes get very dry quickly! :(

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, I am from India. I am glad you love India and Bollywood.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If your eyes do get dry quickly, then it is likely that dry eyes is causing you more problem. Just continue with the lubricating eye drops.

Customer:

It is my goal to learn Hindi sometime soon! I could talk about all my fave actors with you hahaha! thank you and have a great night!!!

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Lol ! Have a good night and a great weekend!

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there anything else that I can answer for you?

Customer:

no that is all! thank you :)

Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist