Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Last April I had an Ahmed implant in my right eye when I was

referred to a glaucoma specialist...
Last April I had an Ahmed implant in my right eye when I was referred to a glaucoma specialist for IOP of 50. Today I hit my eye and it is very tender to touch the eyelid and am having some pain. My main concern is my vision was immediately distorted from normal.My vision is considerably worse and extremely light sensitive. I have an appointment in two weeks for a six month check. Is it possible to have dislodged the implant and would this be considered an emergency that I should go to the ER and have checked? I have a lens implant, as well, in the same eye. All the problems in this eye is due to a traumatic injury as a child. The left eye is perfect for a 59 year old female. My main concern is do I wait for my regular scheduled appointment or should I seek immediate attention or just wait and call my Dr. on Monday?
Thank You,
Debbie
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/8/2013
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

Yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

When you say that you hit the eye, how did it happen and what was the nature of injury- blunt object/sharp object/finger or something else?

Customer:

Trying to multitask while holding iPhone and dropped it however the base of it hit right on top of my eye where the Ahmed implant is. Not a hard hit but I immediately knew I had a direct hit on that area and my vision was immediately distorted.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is very unlikely for the implant to have dislodged as it is secured in place with sutures. The lens implant is also unlikely to be affected. Unless the injury is very bad such as a penetrating injury with a sharp object or a perforation of the eye, these implants do not get dislodged so easily. One of the possibilities is that the iPhone must have hit the cornea and abraded its superficial layer. This can cause severe pain and blurring of vision.

Customer:

I have had cuts to the cornea before and know that intense pain well. This is not the pain I am having. The pain is not acute it is the vision that had me most worried.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok.

Customer:

In your opinion then I should be alright to wait for my regulat appointment in two weeks?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you experiencing any flashes of light/floaters? Do you have short sightedness( wear glasses/contacts)? Is there any history of diabetes mellitus?

Customer:

I have double vision, very blurred from the right side of that eye and can see better from the left corner. I have only the lens implant and do not wear any glasses other than readers for close up work. No, I am not diabetic.

Customer:

The phone did not hit the eye ball but rather the lid.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Try to see the right eye in the mirror using a torchlight and look for the colored part of the eye and its surrounding white part of the eye. Just see if it appears grossly same as that of the left eye.

Customer:

No, actually the left side appears much more blue, in color, than the right side of the same eye. The actual left eye's color is intact with the darker ring around the outside of the iris and the right eye's iris is showing the darker ring only on the far left side of it.

Customer:

I believe I will just go the wait and see route in the morning and make a decision to call my Doctor on Monday or not. The eye patch keeping out the light helps the pain so I will continue with that.

Customer:

I am guessing this sounds right to you?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I would agree that it is better to wait and watch. Whatever is causing the blurring of vision ( whether corneal or protrusion of the implant) can only be identified and treated by your ophthalmologist ( the doctors at the ER would not be in a position to do so). The patch would definitely help in reducing the photophobia and also help a corneal lesion, in case it is present.

Customer:

Thank You

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome, Debbie. Take care.

Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist