Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I poked the white part of my left eye with my fingernail 2

I poked the white part of my left eye with my fingernail 2 days ago.

Yesterday my eye was very sore. The spot where I poked has about a 1/4 inch long whote spot with a lot of redness around it. Today most of the soreness is gone and the redness is reduced but still present. My eye is somewhat irritated, a bit itchy in the area where I poked it. The white spot in the center of the redness seems slightly swollen.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The fingernail must have caused a tiny in the white part of the eye ( conjunctival tear). Normally a conjunctival tear heals very well within 5-7 days. There must have been some amount of inflammation around it thus causing swelling. It will reduce once the inflammation subsides. Visine is a decongesant eye drop and would not help in such case. You can use lubricating eye drops such as Refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop 4 times a day as it helps to soothen the eye.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

To reduce the inflammation and itching sensation you can use Alaway/Zaditor eye drops, 1 drop twice a day. Both eye drops are available over the counter and can be used for a week.

Customer:

Yes, I am here. Thank you. This had me worried a bit.

Customer:

So, you think everything will be okay?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Watch out for signs of infection in the form of increased redness/watering /discharge from that eye. In case these signs appear, then do get the eye examined by an ophthalmologist for a closer look and for start of antibiotic eye drops. If these symptoms do not appear then I guess lubricating eye drops and Alaway drops should be fine.

Customer:

Is the localized itching normal?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, conjunctival abrasions or tears do not cause much harm to the eye and usually heal very well.

Customer:

Excellent! Thank you very much.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, it is natural for itching sensation to be there with a abrasion.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome. Take care.

Customer:

No need for antibiotics or anything? Only see doctor if it gets worse?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, exactly.

Customer:

Awesome. Thanks for the prompt service. You have a great day.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since the soreness and redness have reduced, it looks like the lesion is beginning to heal.

Customer:

Good to hear....or read I guess.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Have a good day !

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist