Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

About hour ago i accidently brushed right eye with hair

towel. could see ok and...
about hour ago i accidently brushed right eye with hair towel. could see ok and no tearing or pain just felt like specs in eye. used eye wash several times, about every 20 mins or so. last time i used eye wash bottom right lid area hurts a little, not sure if i irritated it more or scraped it with eye cup. i can see clearly, bottom rim slightly red on inside, it wasnt like that until i used cup the last time. dont know what to do. scared i scratched it
8/23/2013
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

hi

Customer:

thank you dr for taking my query

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The good news is that you do not have any watering/tearing or blurred vision or pain in that eye. It shows that the cornea is fine ( commonly gets abraded with slightest trauma). It is likely that the conjunctiva ( thin translucent layer on the white of the eye seen in the groove of the eyelids too) is abraded.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Conjunctival abrasions heal very well and do not lead to anything serious.

Customer:

well now im having very slight discomfort, more in the bottom right lid area, only after last time i used the cup from eye wash.

Customer:

not bad pain but im "aware" of that bottom outer lid area

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You can use lubricating eye drops such as Refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop 4 times a day for about 4-5 days.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok. It does look like a conjunctival abrasion then.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It will heal well with lubrication.

Customer:

so even if i abraded that area with either the cotton fibers from towel (which i dont think bc this area was not bothering me before) OR the lower lid area is abraded, these usually heal up?

Customer:

i see a tiny bump in same area but i think i tend to get these, i have seen them before

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, this tissue heals very well any way.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is the tiny bump reddish/pinkish or is it more whitish raised lesion?

Customer:

well that area on the internal lower lash line is pinkish now bc i guess its irritated, its raised, a bit pinkish but its a bit whitish too

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It must have been so due to the injury.

Customer:

when i jusst looked with flashlight it seems while the area is pinkish, the bump tip looks more white

Customer:

ok well if from the injury will the drops help that too?

Customer:

or do i need to go to emergency room or anything right away?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

There are tiny meibomian glands ( modified sebaceous glands) in the lids. Probably you are seeing one of these glands with its whitish secretion.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No, I don't think you need to go to the emergency room for this.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Just lubricate the eye and wait for the lesion to heal over a couple of days.

Customer:

i believe i have that bump normally

Customer:

i have blink tears on hand

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, it could be so. These glands get blocked very commonly.

Customer:

ok thats good to know

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Some amount of watering is alright after an abrasion.

Customer:

ok good to know. anything i should look after as worsening symptoms?

Customer:

the eye just feels funny in that bottom area, i guess irritated, like sluggish

Customer:

the eyeball is not red, its really only red on inside of outer lid when i gently pull it away

Customer:

like just inside the lash line

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Conjunctival abrasions do not lead to anything serious and usually heal very well. It does feel irritated till it heals. You might even experience some itching sensation over the next few days. Watch out for any discharge from the eye and avoid touching the eye or the eyelid ( to prevent contamination or infection).

Customer:

ok great. so if it was more serious, i could imagine i would have had much more dire symptoms immediately following like tearing bad pain lots redness or vision changes?

Customer:

none of which i had really

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Exactly. :)

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you have anymore questions to ask?

Customer:

no dr thanks so much i was afraid to have to run down to emergency room

Customer:

i will lay off the eye wash :)

Customer:

and just use the lubricating drops

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Customer:

thank you very much

Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Hello dr. This morning eye felt very good most of day. Then I think piece of my hair brushed eye. Now it feels irritated again. No watering or redness, slight pain intermittent. I don't really think my vision is blurry but the eye hurts very slightl on off and again I'm feeling aware of the right eyeball.

I got an eye exam w my personal dr a short while ago today. As you suspected, only mild irritation no abrading. thank you!

I am glad to know that you got the eye examined and it turned out to be only mild irritation. Hope you have a good weekend ! Take care !
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist