Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have been told I have colored eyes, and my mom has eyes.

I have been told I...
I have been told I have Hazel colored eyes, and my mom has brown eyes. My wife and both her parents have blue eyes. Our daughter has blue eyes and looks and acts like me. My son has dark brown eyes and acts totally like his mom. I have done research that says green eyes (Hazel?) and blue eyes cannot produce brown eyes. But I have seen a less reliable source that says Hazel is a form of brown eyes, so it would be possible. My question is: Can I have a brown eyed son?
8/20/2013
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Yes, you can absolutely have a brown eyed son. The inheritance patterns for eyecolor are not simple and can vary depending on the family and genetic line. Hazel eyes are a form of green and brown and so it is not surprising that you can produce a brown-eyed son. Does this make sense?
Dr. Dan B. : Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this? It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved...Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Customer:

I remember when my wife was pregnant with him in 1992, she became very agitated one day and asked me to leave. Things had been pretty good until then and I was very upset and confused by this. We had just relocated to another state the same year.

Dr. Dan B. : I'm sorry. I'm not quite sure what you're getting at.
Customer:

Never mind. Thanks for the answer. Would you be able to give me links so I can read about the answer you gave me?

Dr. Dan B. : Well, I don't have any prepared links about this particular issue, but after you provide feedback. I can come back ( hopefully within the next day) and provide you some links to data on this). Sound okay?
Customer:

Sure, thanks.

Dr. Dan B.

Dave, I think this article does a good job at discussing the myths regarding eye color and then speaks (at the end) of the realities of iris color with respect to a modern understanding of what is actually a more complex genetic picture.

http://udel.edu/~mcdonald/mytheyecolor.html

The following link is one of the most recent genetic treatises on eye color and, while pretty technical, corroborates the first article.

http://www.evergreen.edu/upwardbound/docs/eyecolor.pdf

Hope these are helpful.

Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.