Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I'm having some lousy discomfort in my right eye. It started

Hi, I'm having some lousy...
Hi, I'm having some lousy discomfort in my right eye. It started when I rubbed my eye Saturday and had a shooting pain that seemed to extend down my face. It got better yesterday but now it feels like there's some pressure behind my eye, and it feels like a painful ache or bruise when I touch it. Just pressure otherwise and somewhat uncomfortable.
I get my eyes checked every year because I wear contact lenses.
I plan on seeing the eye doctor tomorrow but honestly I'm worried it's acute glaucoma and can't sleep. I'd like to take an Ativan but I read that it can make glaucoma worse!
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/19/2013
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist

Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Since I did not find you on the chat, I switchied over to Q&A mode. Unlike live chat we have to send short text messages to each other.

As you are worried about your symptoms being those of an acute episode of glaucoma, let me ask you a few questions here-

Is the vision blurred in the affected eye?

Is there severe nausea/vomiting ?

Do you have any known history of allergies/sinusitis/migraine?
Not really blurred but my glasses are old so it's hard to tell. No other symptoms. Yes, allergies, sinus and former migraines were all things I deal with.

If it were to be an acute episode of primary angle closure glaucoma(PACG), then there would have been severe pain in the eye, redness , watering and photophobia in the eye, severe nausea /vomiting, blurring of the vision. In intermittent stage of the disease the symptoms get aborted with sleep ( sleep induces constriction of the pupil called as miosis which in turn opens up the block for aqueous drainage). But in acute episode the symptoms will not subside until treatment is given with anti-glaucoma medicines.

From the given descripton it does NOT appear to be an episode of PACG. Since the pain started only after you had rubbed the eye, one of the possibilities is that of a corneal abrasion ( the superficial layer of the cornea must have got abraded). Cornea is very pain sensitive and even the tiniest of epithelial abrasions can give rise to severe pain. However the epithelium heal very well with lubricating eye drops/ointment with patching for 12-24 hours. You can do the same and patch the eye overnight with lubricating eye ointment ( if you have one) such as lacrilube or even with lubricating eye drops such as refresh tears/systane eye drops.

If symptoms persist even after 24 hours then do get the eye examined by an ophthalmologist for a closer look.

Refrain from wearing the contact lenses till then and switch over to your spectacles.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

I would like to add that deep seated pain/pressure behind the eye is more often seen in case of sinusitis or migraine. In the absence of other ocular symptoms /signs, the pain is unlikely to be of any other serious ocular cause .For the moment you can take tablet Tylenol 650 mg to relieve the pain. If need be you can repeat it 12 hours later.
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist