Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I lied as I am back again~when you use baby shampoo do you

Hi ~I lied as I...
Hi ~I lied as I am back again~when you use baby shampoo do you dilute it first with water to wipe my eye~would I just do the bot***** *****d on my left eye~ since nothing else seems to be bothering me~Martha~There is no drainage from it today so I trust it is not Blepharitis~ I think eye drops would make the contact more comfortable~you said Computers would not hurt eye sight~ but it could cause eye strain maybe???
8/10/2013
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Martha, That is a very good question and, no, you just put it full strength onto your index fingers like it was toothpaste.

Dr. Rick :

. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes.

Dr. Rick :

Computers may make your eyes feel tired, kinda like eye strain, but they will not damage them at all. You will be OK

Dr. Rick :

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : Martha, That is a very good question and, no, you just put it full strength onto your index fingers like it was toothpaste.
Dr. Rick : . In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to***** Rick : Computers may make your eyes feel tired, kinda like eye strain, but they will not damage them at all. You will be OK
Dr. Rick :

I did as you said with the baby shampoo and it kind of stung~ do you rinse it after of course with warm water~and just do the outside of the lids~ how often should you do this~Martha

Martha,
Once a day is enough. It might sting at first...that means it is working.
Remember: No pain. No gain :)

Nice expression~I was kind of surprised when Baby Shampoo normally does not sting~does that mean I have a problem there~ Give all your animals a Pat on the head from me~ even the Pit Bull~:-) Martha

Fletcher, the pit bull/germen shepherd mix, weighing in at 95lbs, says "thanks"
No. It is really not a sign that you have a problem. Sometime it stings a bit. If you do the same lid scrubs with Head&Shoulders Dandruff shampoo you will see that, by comparison, baby shampoo really doesn't sting much at all when you get right down to it. ;)
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Good Morning~I did not put my eye drops in last night~ I figured one night would not make a difference~plus I wanted to see if I still had a white substance in my eye~ I had just a small line of it which I rubbed out~ does this mean I have Blepharitis or an eye infection~the Ozopt eye drops make a lot of white~ as I said like a white glue~no matter how much you shake it~then it gathers in the corner of the eyes~my eye is not as red and it feels itchy~more then sore today~ when you gave me that long description of a puncha and so on I wonder if you feel I need that~I never discussed this with you before and you had me scared to death~:-) anyway with a small amount of white residue~I guess one might call it~would the drops and baby shampoo be enough to treat that~ or would I need an antibiotic~I am happy this morning that my cataract eye is not near as blood shot nor is there much discharge from it~the other eye has no problem~when I read about Blepharitis it seems more serious than what I have experienced~my eye lashes do not stick together during sleep or anything~I guess I am handling enough with healing over my husband's death~ plus I started Wellbutrin~I never took anything like that before~I was relieved that you agreed with my Doctor that it does not affect eye pressure~like some medications do~sorry for bothering you with my problems~ when maybe I don't have one~but that long explanation about getting the puncha or whatever procedure done I was confused~

I know once you said that you were not a Contact lens expert~but would a + 13 give one more vision power than say a + 12~I am having a hard time getting a contact lens for my cataract eye~that feels good that is~the one I always had before are no longer in business~you say I am your favorite customer~ I know I am no doubt your most pesty one~I will give you a good Review and Tip and Many Thanks and say Hi to ALL your pets~Martha~ PS~Do Gluacoma eye drops make one have side effects like fatique~I told you the three I was on~but they sure work and the pressure dropped from 37 to 12 in a short time~when you mention lid scrubs do you mean the baby shampoo one~

Good Morning Martha,
Yup. I bet you have a touch of blepharitis. The good news? It is not anything horrible and you already know how easy it is to treat. Getting this under control should make your eye feel lots better....but, remember, the treatment takes about 3 weeks to kick on.
The long talk about puncta is only because I wrote that blepharitis information a while ago and now I copy/paste this data. That tells you just how common this issue is. Don't worry about the punctal occlusion stuff :)
You do not need an antibiotic...just the home therapy we discussed.
Your blepharitis is not as serious as what Dr.Google talks about. That is why you have Dr. Rick, so you won't let Dr. Google upset you with information that may not apply to you. ;-)
Remember: You are never bothering me.....
You are correct: I suck on contact lenses :)
No, glaucoma drops do not normally cause fatigue. Twelve is an very good pressure.
Yes. Lid scrubs mean baby shampoo ones....remember, Head&Shoulders burns like heck lol!
Have a good weekend.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi Again~I think what you are saying is the Baby Shampoo is what I should continue for three weeks~ I wonder why this would happen to just one eye~would I have caused a bacteria to get in somehow~maybe by touching it too much with hands that were not clean enough~my mother used to do that treatment~ I remember my sister telling me and I found it sounded so odd~she had glaucoma~ but that would not have anything to do with Blepharitis~ maybe the tip of our eye dropper from the drops may get germs on it~I agree Dr. Google is not very good and can cause one a lot of stress that one does not need~ I like you much better~:-) Martha

Martha,
That is a very good question and it isn't just in one eye. But, for unknown reasons many patients only have symptoms in one eye even though on slit lamp exam signs of the blepharitis can be seen in both eye.
You did nothing to cause this.
Your are right: Blepharitis has nothing to do with your glaucoma, germs on tip of the eyedrop bottle or anything else you have done.
Remember: Sh*t happens....
Of course I am better than Dr.Google. This should be no surprise! lol!
Enjoy your weekend. :)
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Good Morning Dr. Rick~ I just got a survey questionnaire to do on you~I think this is the second one I got since I met you and I gave you Perfect answers on every question~:-) I am not trying to suck up to you~I am just a very honest person~ sometimes too honest for my own good however~

I did the Baby Shampoo thing again last night and it did NOT sting one bit this time~ so to me this sounds like things are getting better~I did the two eyes as well this time around~the first night it did sting~ but I realize it would not be as bad as another shampoo~will I continue the treatment~ as I do not see any problem this morning~ listening to Dr. Google is wrong I can see~ whereas Dr. Rick is so smart~ :-)

I know that you suck on contacts~ although once when no one was answering me you took the question and said how you might be able to help me~I realize you cannot be talented in everything~BUT can you lead me to a Doctor who is more up on Contacts~ especially for my type of eye problem~no lens from cataract surgery~I still never got an answer to why this Doctor~plus my other one~ feels having the surgery is too risky now~I think you were kind of being Mr. Google when you pasted that long story about puncta occlusion on my eye question and scared me half to death~thinking I had to get all that done for a discharge from my eye~:-) I know this is off subject~ but does Fletcher resemble the Pit bull more or the German Shepard~Martha~PS I think also you told me seeing black spots is normally okay~ I do occasionally and then they go away~plus you said that you too had them at times~

Martha,
Thanks for thinking so highly of me on the survey..that really helps :)
Yup. It sounds like things are getting better to me too. But, sometimes it stings and sometimes it doesn't
Concerning the contacts, perhaps it is time you travel to a large university teaching hospital and consult with a Professor of contact fitting. Why a teaching hospital? Because at an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.
The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.
But, if that sort of travel is not possible we could try to find another contact lens expert in your area...let me know what would be easiest for you.....

I live in Canada and travelling right now is out of the question~I meant if you knew of one on Just Answer~the other Doctor on eyes is Dr. Dan~ is there any other experts that might know more about this situation~ I am quite comfortable with this last one I got~they stopped making the one I always had before and I was comfortable with~ where are you located~I don't know if I ever asked you this~how long would I do the shampoo thing~ as my eyes seem okay now~Martha~ Say Hi to Fletcher~I asked if he resembles a German Shepard more than a pit Bull~PS~My sister still did not get her call~ so to me it does not sound real urgent~you would think the sooner the laser was done the better~

Martha,
Dr. Dan knows more about contacts then I do but, Dr. Desi, who is from India and is usually on at night (USA time) is a Professor of Ophthalmology so she might be good at contacts.
I'm located near the shores of Lake Superior in the Upper Midwest.
You should do the lid scrubs daily for at least a month and then a few days a week after that for ever....or until, like the rest of us, you get tired of doing it :)
Here is a picture of Fletcher:
http://i43.tinypic.com/1et2dt.jpg
I would have your sister call the doc and see what the delay is, although it is probably not an emergency.
Have a good evening.
Dr. Rick

Thanks for the picture of Fletcher~I know German Shepards quite well and I do not see any sign of one in Fletcher~he looks all Pit Bull~ yet I think you said he was a mix of the two~many breeds now are cross ones like a cockapoo~ a poodle mixed with a cocker spaniel as an example ~thus you tend to see traces of both~ do you notice any Shepard in him I wonder~I live in Oakville ,Ontario and no doubt Toronto would have good eye Doctors~ it is not far from here~anyway my question is not real complicated~it is mostly about the size on the bottles~the one she first fitted me with she said fit perfectly and my sight was real good 20- 25~ actually better than my good eye I think she said~ which is 20-30~I have 20-20 up close at age 68 in my good eye~is that a good sign~ the Optometrist said I had a baby cataract in it~ BUT the other one~The Ophthalmolgist said it was really nothing and to her it was not a cataract~funny two different opinions~anyway apparently there is not many places that make these contacts for my situation~the one she said fit me real good felt really uncomfortable after a couple of hours~ so she ordered from a different company~this one had almost the same measurements as my original~ except for 14.50 and a 14.20~the other numbers were the same and it feels comfortable in my eye~I don't know what they were the day she inserted that first one~maybe it is just the new company's material they use that makes it feel better~but I liked the vision better from the other one I guess I am trying to say~it can get kind of complicated~ as there are three numbers which mean nothing to me~I think she said the first one was a + 12 and mine is a+13~ which one would think was better~ anyway it is a long story that probably only that Optomitrist can answer~Dr. Dan scared me when I had a question for him~ I forget what it was~maybe about contacts~ but he said I could not take an anti- depressant because of my eye pressure and you said Wellbutrin was okay and so did the Doctor~are some bad for that~I wish I could get this Dr. Desi~I never saw that name~people from India are usually smart~not that we are not~:-)

The hold up with my sister I understand is the Insurance ~ they have to see if hers covers the treatment~apparently if you even pay up front they will not give it back to you~ even if it does cover~it does not make sense to me~ as it seems her eye problem is serious and would need treatment sooner~ rather than later~Martha

Martha,
Nope. Don't see any shephard but his mom and some of his siblings look just like shephard.
I would trust the ophthalmologist on the opinion about the cataract.
You are OK with the antidepressants...don't worry.
Try to ask for Dr. Desi on your post and expect that she will answer sometime between midnight and noon central time.
Take care and have a good day

Hi Dr. Rick~ I find my cataract eye really feels uncomfortable at times when the contact is in~ it does not seem to have any discharge from it~although it is a bit red~ can dryness cause this or would my medication ~ it has been like this however for years when I wore the contact~sometimes it is fine and others it sucks~ would using a computer too much also cause it~or one's posture~ I just have to remove it~I hope the fit is okay~ it is as close as we could get to my original~plus not as thick~ because it is made of a more modern material and thus lighter~it is hard when you take it out~as you have no glasses to replace it~like normal people can do~they would have to be almost like coke bottles in thickness~like they wore years ago~I am on a computer a lot though~Thanks Martha~

Martha,
It is probably from a bit of dryness. Using a computer wouldn't cause it but you should use some wetting drops while on the computer.
My pleasure.
Have a good evening.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi Again~I just did the Baby shampoo thing again and it burned like the first time~in my cataract eye~I saw a bit of mucus~ I forget if you said this would definitely be Blepharitis or maybe a residue from Azopt~if it is the former will the shampoo treatments be enough to get rid of it~ I don't need any more problems with my eyes~ maybe I should not be applying eye make up now~ you re~ assure me that it is not serious~ but when does a person know when they might need an antibodic~Martha PS Will I live :-)

Martha,
I think what is going on is blepharitis and not really the azopt residue. Don't worry about the shampoo burning a little bit now and again. You can soak you eye in that stuff without doing any damage :)
Eye makeup is OK. I've found over the years that patients with sensitive eyes like a brand of makeup called MAC.
This is not serious and you do not need antibiotics :)
Have a good day.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Thanks for the reassurance~it seems many years ago my eye lids would be all stuck together in the Morning and I had to keep bathing them to get them opened~then I needed an anti biotic~maybe that was a cold in the eyes~ I asked you this before~ but why does sometimes black spots appear in front of the eyes and other times not~you admitted to having this also at times~it is annoying and also kind of scary~it usually again is in my cataract eye~ will the baby shampoo heal the problem~Martha

Those are called vitreous floaters. Nothing to be worried about.
You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs.
Make sense?
Have a good day.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD