Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Something dripped off the ceiling in a departmemt store and

hit me on the face...
Something dripped off the ceiling in a departmemt store and hit me on the face and a tiny bit went in my right eye. When i wiped off my face was watery clear but little brownish could be rust or dirt i dont know. I rinsed my eye when i could and used blink tears. Then i went and got eye wash. Its not red or anything but worried since i dont really know what it was.
8/10/2013
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

How long ago did this happen?

Customer:

about 1130am

Customer:

i didnt feel any pain or stinging but i have a bad anxiety disorder so am starting to get worked up

Customer:

thank you

Dr. Rick :

Ok. It sounds from what you have posted that your eye and vision is OK right now. Is that correct?

Customer:

its 3pm now here

Dr. Rick :

Do you wear contacts?

Customer:

yes vision is fine the whole time. most of it hit my nose an little tiny bit splashed into r eye so when i wiped my bridge of nose off i saw it was clear but little brownsish could have been from an ac unit in ceiling or just roof water from rain

Customer:

no contacts

Dr. Rick :

Ok. The good new is that your eye has a host of physical and chemical defenses to protect it against stuff like this. Since you eye feels fine (it wasn't acid etc) now I really think you are going to be OK

Dr. Rick :

So. What is the take home message? You will be fine and shouldn't worry.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

so even if it was a little rust or something still ok? i mean my vision is clear and no redness. it feels mostly fine a teeny bit irritated but that was only AFTER i started putting drops and things in it

Customer:

i used blinktears which i keep in my purse and then got eye wash from drug store and rinsed it multiple times

Dr. Rick :

Yes. Even if it had a bit of rust in it, was full of bacteria etc. you will be fine. As you noted, the eye wash probably irritated things more than anything else.

Customer:

yes it seemed once i started playing with it i felt it a little bit burning sensation

Dr. Rick :

I'd just not put anything else in your eye so it can get back to normal.

Dr. Rick :

Playing with it could cause the burning sensation all by itself.

Customer:

ok so i will lay off the sdrops and eye wash

Customer:

drops

Dr. Rick :

That sounds like a good plan.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else I can do for you this afternoon?

Customer:

thanks dr rick. my usual optomoterist is off today

Dr. Rick :

Glad I could help. Have a good weekend.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer:

if i dont have to worry im happy :)

Customer:

same to you

Dr. Rick :

Then you are happy :)

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Dr Rick quick question, i cant remember my last tetnus booster do i need to run out and get one?

That is an excellent question and, no, there is no need to go and get a tetanus booster for this issue.

whew! thanks :)

My pleasure.
Have a good weekend :)

thank, you as well.

Let me know if there is anything I can do for you in the future.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD