Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

On July 3/13 I woke up to find both of my eyes had no

Customer Question
Good afternoon. On July 3/13...
Good afternoon. On July 3/13 I woke up to find both of my eyes had no whites, it was all totally solid red. I attended a doctor and was given drops for an eye infection. The situation cleared up. Exactly two weeks later the condition returned, but instead of solid red whites, I had extremely bloodshot eyes. I returned to the doctor (physician) and was given different eye drops. During the first 5 days my eyes cleared up then on day 6 started to blood shot up again. Exactly one week after the new eye drops I returned to my physician and this time I was prescribed a steroidal type eye drop which I was advised I could not stay on long term due to potential of causing glaucoma. Now it is two weeks later again and the condition ins returning. I do not have any puss oozing during these times but do have clear fluid seeping that is a bit sticky. I had new glasses this last spring but have been wearing them full time for numerous years.
What the heck is going on....Ive been watching for allergy triggers but not been able to identify any commonalities. Any suggestions you can make would be appreciated. Thank you
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Eye
8/8/2013
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 4 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Do you know the names of the drops used?

Dr. Rick :

Were you seen by an ophthalmologist or a general doctor?

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any medical problems or take any other medication?

Dr. Rick :

Yes, steroid use can cause glaucoma, but it usually takes a few weeks to occur, and this is only in a small subset of the population.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

I see you are typing. I will standby....

Dr. Rick :

I cannot see anything that you are typing. Our chat system may not be working well at the moment. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Customer:

Yes I am available to chat. The drops were 1) Trbradex 2)Tobramycin then the steroidal one is patanol

Dr. Rick :

Patanol is not a steroid, it is an antihistamine....so no worries about glaucoma there..

Dr. Rick :

Tobradex, however, does have a steroid in it.

Customer:

what about the fisrt two....I could be mixed up in the order I got them. thus far I have been seeing general physician...................you answered already

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like your GP is trying to treat eyes. In town the GPs and I have a deal: I won't treat heart attacks and they won't try to treat eyes ;)

Customer:

Tobradex was last prescribed

Customer:

We have doctor shortages here and getting in is an adventure at best lol

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Can you upload a picture of your eye or eyes using the paper clip on your screen? Good focus rather than being close is more important.

Customer:

my parents have glaucoma.....genetics dictate diabetes, cancer and high cholestoral

Customer:

I will try

Dr. Rick :

Steroid responder type glaucoma is different then run of the mill glaucoma

Dr. Rick :

I'll wait.

Customer:

working on it....

Dr. Rick :

ok

Customer:

what is ur email.....

Customer:

I have pic on my phone but my computer is not receiving it

Dr. Rick :

Our ninja firewall blocks all email systems. You can send a picture to the moderators and then they can forward it to me but that usually takes 2 days or so.

Dr. Rick :

We can figure out something else for you to do without pictures......shall we continue.

Customer:

sure thanks

Dr. Rick :

First of all, I think your first issue was not an infection but a subconjunctival hemorrhage

Customer:

I can do the doctor thing here and get a referral to see specialist but with our system it could take months.I am concerned of something bad and wasting time

Dr. Rick :

Here are some pictures of what this can look like:

Customer:

yes I agree on the hemorage. I will check on the link quickly

Dr. Rick :

ok

Customer:

absolutely. I understand pressure within the eyeball is to blame

Dr. Rick :

The next issue may have been from secondary inflammation, dryness, allergies and blepharitis.

Customer:

my question would be what the heck is causing it

Dr. Rick :

No. Subconjunctival hemorrhage is not related to eye pressure.

Dr. Rick :

Here is some information on this:

Dr. Rick :

In the vast majority of cases, sub conjunctival hemorrhage is nothing to worry about. It is usually not a sign of any serious condition but rather is just a small broken blood vessel in the conjunctiva that looks much worse than it really is.

No treatment is necessary. Think of a subconjunctival hemorrhage as a bruise. The reason it looks so red (some people say it looks like a piece of raw meat) is that the skin on your eye is very thin so the underlying blood shows through easily. On your arm, for instance, a bruise looks blue/purple because the overlying skin is thick, blocking the red color of the blood.

Like a bruise elsewhere a subconjunctival hemorrhage will slowly go away over the course of a couple of weeks. It may spread around the globe some and change colors as it clears. This is nothing to be concerned about.

Customer:

oh ok, I apologize. is there a specific cause or the list above applies

Dr. Rick :

Just happens. Really nothing to worry about. Your GP should have known that right off the bat. But, hey, I'd probably miss a heart attack in progress :)

Customer:

my employer worries about being contagious.....I work with minority populations

Dr. Rick :

It is not contagious at all. No worries there .

Dr. Rick :

Now. What should you do?

Dr. Rick :

First. Stop all those drops etc that your friendly neighborhood GP gave you.

Dr. Rick :

and start doing this simple home treatment to make your eyes feel better:

Dr. Rick :

(not all issues apply to you, but the treatment discussed does....)

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you are suffering from an anterior segment/tear film issue. Many times, for all sorts of reasons, the anterior surface of the eye starts to have difficulties. What can cause this? Well, there are a number of conditions but the most common are dry eyes, allergies and blepharitis....many times all three conditions act together to make you miserable. In order to solve your problem you need to address all of these issues at the same time.

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production and the use of a medication called restasis to improve your tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

I understand that this treatment seems a bit "too low tech" to be of value, but after 2 decades of clinical practice, I can assure you (even from personal experience :) that it, does indeed, work.

Dr. Rick :

I've heard that the Canadian health system makes it really hard to get in to see a specialist....not a problem down her in the South

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there?

Customer:

yes still here and it does make sense. a lot of sense. I was told by an oppthamologist many years ago that I have very few glands(?) inside my eyelids

Customer:

I will follow up with your suggestions and if the condition continues I will follow up

Dr. Rick :

Sounds like you have a good case of blepharitis....the lid scrubs and warm soaks should really help you then...

Customer:

thank you very much

Dr. Rick :

Sounds like a great plan. But don't forget to mash feedback for me .

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good day.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer:

you too.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD