How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Dan B. Your Own Question
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 3343
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. Dan B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Blurred vision in left eye

This answer was rated:

I went to see an opthamologist today because of blurred vision in my left eye. He discovered a small fluid filled blister right behind my macula. He wants me to come back next week for an injection into the eye. Can you tell me little more about it. My vision a year ago was 20/30 in my left eye, now its 20/70. I did suffer an hit to the left side of my head right on my ear on June 22nd. My ear was very swollen, purple and blue, for a week or so. Could this have caused it or is this wet AMD? I am 48 years old, female. Thank you.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : First of all, I do not suspect this is wet macular degeneration. You're quite young for this to be likely. If your ophthalmologist described this as a small blister of fluid, I suspect that what you have is called central serous retinopathy, or CSR. Let me elaborate.
Doctor DanB : This is a disorder of the choroid (tissues underlying the retina) where there is a small, pinpoint leakage of fluid that collects under the retina that can cause a discoloration to the vision and/or centralized blurring or blind spot. The etiology of this is unknown; there are no identifiable causes, but it tends to happen in the Type A personality for some reason. This diagnosis can be verified by your ophthalmologist who can do a fluorescein angiogram test (a test where some dye is injected into an IV in your arm and pictures are taken of your retina as the dye flows through the retinal blood vessels, enabling documentation of where there is leaking). Thankfully, CSR is a problem that usually fully resolves on its own over the course of 2-3 months and the resolution can even be hastened with the use of a laser if absolutely essential.
Doctor DanB : Does this make sense? Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this? It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved...Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!

What about the injections that he wants to give me? He said the laser is no good because the blister is right behind my retina and it could permanently make a burned spot. So he thinks the injections are the answer. Do you know what type of medications are injected and how well they work? Thank you so much for your answers.


Also I like to run 3 to 4 times a week. Is it ok for me to continue to do so. I run about 3 miles at a time.

Doctor DanB : Continuing to run is not a problem. The injections he is likely talking about are called anti-VEGF injections. They are medicines that stop leaking blood vessels. By and large these injections are very well-tolerated and the risk of complications is low.
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions about this?

Do you agree with the injections or do you prefer laser treatment?


This is my last question, sorry for all these questions. I am just a little bit concerned since I never had any problems with my eyes in the past.

Doctor DanB : If the blister really is right behind the very center of the retina, I agree with him that the laser would permanently damage your vision. Therefore, the injections are the safer option.

Great thank you. You have been very helpful. Have a great day!:-)

Dr. Dan B. and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you