How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Dan B. Your Own Question
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 3343
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. Dan B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Today I was diagnosed with an eye ulcer by my optometrist.

This answer was rated:

Today I was diagnosed with an eye ulcer by my optometrist. Is he qualified to treat it or should I seek out an optomologist. He gave me drops and told me to come back tomorrow to see if it had improved.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. I think a medical problem as serious as a corneal ulcer should be treated by an ophthalmologist.
Doctor DanB : It wouldn't hurt to follow up with your optometrist until you find an optometrist but I think it's a good idea to find one.

Do you think maybe it is minor enough that he feels he can treat it. He did not mention referring me or really explain the seriousness of it. He gave me some drops and told me to come back tomorrow. If better I come back in a week and if not I come back in a couple of days. Should I just take the initative and seek out a different doctor. He is my eye doctor so I hate to make him mad.

Doctor DanB : I would say that if you aren't significantly better by the time you go back you should seek out the ophthalmologist. If your optometrist has your best interests at heart, he wouldn't be offended if what he's doing isn't working.

Are these usually cured if caught early?

Doctor DanB : Most are yes.
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions about this?
Dr. Dan B. and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you