Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Have you heard of a machine that uses magnetic therapy to

heal bruises faster after surgery...
Have you heard of a machine that uses magnetic therapy to heal bruises faster after surgery. it dissolves the blood and heals the bruise in half the time?
7/31/2013
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
JACUSTOMER-x17ixlld- :

Yes

Doctor DanB : I am aware of this treatment. There are varying results depending on the studies you look at. What specifically are you referring to with respect to yourself?
JACUSTOMER-x17ixlld- :

The nurse after I had upper lid surgery used this magnetic wand with gel on my eyelids to heal and dissolve the bruising from the surgery. I was wondering if this could have caused the ptosis on the left eye that now is drooping more. I had it before surgery 2 years ago but it wasn't as bad then.

JACUSTOMER-x17ixlld- :

She used it directly on my incisions on the eyes lightly. I did dissolve the bruising fast

Doctor DanB : What was the initial eyelid surgery for? Was it for a droopy eyelid, or was it to remove excess skin on the eyelid?
JACUSTOMER-x17ixlld- :

excess skin. He is a very good surgeon and highly recommended, so I was a bit disappointed when my left eyelid was was lower after I healed. I saw my before photos and my eye was slightly different, but my right eye now look round and the left looks almond and lid lower. Not severely but you can tell. I went back to him and he said revision and ptosis. I was thinking about why he didn't address this and fix it before the surgery

JACUSTOMER-x17ixlld- :

I did have more than average swelling during the surgery, so maybe that was difficult to be precise.

Doctor DanB : I don't suspect the magnetic wand did this at all. It is much more likely that this was a direct result of the eyelid surgery.
JACUSTOMER-x17ixlld- :

I think my swelling was due to too much fish oil I had been taking before the surgery.

Doctor DanB : That really isn't a side effect of excessive fish oil consumption. It's much more likely that it just happened. It's not common for one eye to be more swollen than the other.
JACUSTOMER-x17ixlld- :

This magnetic machine had a 3 letter name, like TRM or something

JACUSTOMER-x17ixlld- :

I was thinking that my right eye was now so much more open that maybe it made it more obvious, but the left lid hits the top of my iris lower than the left by a centimeter.

JACUSTOMER-x17ixlld- :

than the right i meant

Doctor DanB : Well then it sounds like you do need some surgical intervention for this droopy eyelid.
JACUSTOMER-x17ixlld- :

It's funny, my two eyes have always felt different because I am able to completely shut the left lid while the right one is completely. I figured the muscle was a little different from the other one because most people can't do that.

Doctor DanB : It may inherently be different but that doesn't mean you have to tolerate one eyelid droopier than the other.
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions about this?
JACUSTOMER-x17ixlld- :

I am having the surgery again next month. and curious as to if you think the magnetic therapy could have done this

Doctor DanB : No, I really don't think it was the culprit. I think it was a consequence of the initial surgery.
JACUSTOMER-x17ixlld- :

Would swelling have been a reason to not get it exact

Doctor DanB : You mean swelling in the eyelid before the surgery? If so, that could play a role in over or underestimating how much skin to have taken off but it wouldn't have played a role in a droopy eyelid after the surgery.
JACUSTOMER-x17ixlld- :

Not enough skin off could cause the droopy lid couldn't it? He is having an eye specialist come in during the revision this time

Doctor DanB : It could cause skim to hang over the eyelid margin which could cause the appearance of a droopy eyelid, but it wouldn't cause the eyelid margin or eyelid itself to droop.
JACUSTOMER-x17ixlld- :

okay I must have the appearance but he said it wasn't a result of the surgery and I asked if it was Ptosis and he said yes.

Doctor DanB : If that is true, then it must have been a ptosis that was missed prior to the eyelid surgery.
JACUSTOMER-x17ixlld- :

The before photo I saw was slight but maybe 2 years made a difference. What causes Ptosis

Doctor DanB : In most people it is a slipping of the tendon that attaches the eyelid muscle to the eyelid itself, called involutional ptosis.
JACUSTOMER-x17ixlld- :

Why does it slip and Is it easily fixed ?

JACUSTOMER-x17ixlld- :

Can it become stretched from skin tightening machines used on the lid like Thermage?

JACUSTOMER-x17ixlld- :

That's what I have done in the past Thermage of the lids

Doctor DanB : It slips as a result of aging usually and it is a fairly straightforward surgery though "easy" isn't a word I would ever ascribe to surgery. No, I don't think stretching from that machine caused this.
JACUSTOMER-x17ixlld- :

okay Thank you so much for your help. You are always so good at answering my questions.

Doctor DanB : My pleasure. Good luck on your surgery. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
JACUSTOMER-x17ixlld- :

I'll let you know how it goes

Doctor DanB : Please do.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.