Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Recently I've started to get an eye hemmrrhage and I know

basically what has caused...
Recently I've started to get an eye hemmrrhage and I know basically what has caused it. I'm a 42 yr old male in good health but wanted to get on a supplement regieme to promote good health with my heart and eyes. I started to take the supplements three weeks ago and last week when i woke i noticed a hemorrhage in my left eye on the white surface. it was odd to see this because ive never had this before but i concluded it must have been caused by the supplements. the vitamins i'm take are daily which include:
Vitamins A (25,000 UI),B,C,D,E
Biotin, Folic Acid, Choline, and Inositol, calcium, magnesium, zinc,selenium, manganese, Chromium polynicotinate, molybdenum,potassium, magnesseum, vanadium, boron, Rutin, Sunflower lecithin, Coenzyme A,Reishi Shittake Mushroom Extract,Calcium Aspartate,Coq10,lipotropic factors, apple pectin
One of these vitamins or a combination of a few must be what is causing the hemmorhaging. If any one could help me figure out which vitamins are causing this I would be extremely grateful.
7/24/2013
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : The vitamin E is a blood thinner and can predispose to these hemorrhages.
Doctor DanB : Warfarin (coumadin) is one of the most common drugs that cause this. However, taking Plavix, aspirin, ibuprofen, motrin, aleve, naprosyn can thin the blood and predispose to these. Also taking garlic, ginseng, ginko biloba and vitamin E can also thin the blood and predispose to getting these. However, as any bruise, these can happen without taking any of these blood-thinning medications.
Doctor DanB : Also when there is significant pressure being generated in the eye or head, this can happen from that. Examples of this include eye rubbing, sneezing, coughing, lifting a heavy load, straining against a bowel movement or trauma to the eye. If you are not taking any of these medicines or vitamins and/or you've not had any of these pressure causing events, then having multiple episodes of this could be a sign of a bleeding problem and should be checked out by your primary care doctor.In the meantime, if there is any eye discomfort, cool compresses and/or artificial tears can help alleviate your symptoms. As long as there has been no prior eye surgery or trauma, however, there is usually little cause for concern. These hemorrhages will usually resolve in 1-3 weeks spontaneously, as any bruise would. If, however, the pain becomes severe despite Tylenol, artificial tears, and/or cool compresses, or if it associated with one of the worst headaches of your life, or you notice significant vision loss associated with this, then I would consider those emergencies to see the ophthalmologist for. In the end, though, those are exceedingly rare. Does this make sense?
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions about this? It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved...Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Customer:

I'm here.

Customer:

Hello?

Customer:

Thank you for this information. It appears that the culprit which is causing these symptoms is the Vitamin E because I am not taking any of the other items you have mentioned.

Customer:

Would any of the other vitamins I'm taking have any chance of causing these hemorrhages?

Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.