Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Part of the of my eye turned red, like a broken blood vessel

Part of the white of my eye turned red, like a broken blood vessel today. No reason that I can come up with. There is pain in the red area, when I blink and general pain in the eye. I started antibiotics for an infection in my ear today..eye is on other side. only part of eye is red so far, have had broken blood vessels before but not with this kind of pain.
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Customer:

I am surprised at the level of pain with this. I do not recall getting hit in the eye and have not coughed or laughed hard lately. It is watering a bit and there are some blurry spots. Painful to touch and painful when blinking.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you wear contact lenses?

Customer:

No

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Where are the blurry spots- on the cornea?

Customer:

yes, they come and go, it is very blurry after a cold cloth is taken away.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is the vision getting blurred in that eye?

Customer:

yes lightly

Customer:

yes slightly (sorry)

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Well, it looks like there is a possibility of a corneal abrasion here.

Customer:

how would that have happened and what do I do now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It can be very painful but heals very well with lubricating eye drops/ointment and patching of the eye overnight.

Customer:

Thank you, ***** ***** put a patch on tonight and get eye drops tomorrow.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If your symptoms do not improve by morning then it is better to get the eye examined by an ophthalmologist for a closer look at the cornea.

Customer:

Thank you, ***** ***** in a remote town in Alaska, so I will try the drops and patch and hope for a better day tomorrow. Thank you again.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

More chances are that you should feel better by morning with overnight patching.

Hi Wendy,
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going.Has the eye pain reduced now? Did you start putting the lubricating eye drops? I was hoping that it must have been a corneal abrasion only and nothing more. Do post a short reply if you have the time. This follow up post is free. Take care. Feel free to ask any question pertaining to the eye in future and I will be glad to answer.
Let me know,
Dr.A.S.Desai
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for the follow up. The eye is getting better. I am using drops and covering some. Thanks so much once again.

Wendy

Glad to know that the eye is getting better. Have a good weekend !