Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Dr Rick. I dont know if this question just went through.

Dr Rick. I dont know if this question just went through. It's Rich (hx CSR, buckle, cataract tomorrow). I took Avodart for ~ 3 weeks over 3 years ago until I chose to stop for good. Eye doc only asked what meds I was presently taking, and out-pt center called today and asked qbout prostate drugs. I answered no, since it was for 3 weeks, over 3 years ago. Reasonable? Thanks

p.s. Just found this online for what its worth:  Avodart does not have any known adverse effects with respect to catartacts. In several case reports, patients who had been taking an alpha blocker (either Uroxatral or another another medication in the same class) experienced intraoperative floppy iris syndrome (a complication of cataract surgery that does not usually affect the overall outcome of the surgery) during cataract surgery

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

Hi there

Dr. Rick :

You should be OK with cataract surgery tomorrow. You didn't take the avodart for very long and you took it a long time ago. I do not believe it will complicate your surgery at all.

Dr. Rick :

Howdy.

Dr. Rick :

I think I answered this on another thread :)

Customer:

I didnt think so,but out-pt ctr asked me if i ever, and i said no

Dr. Rick :

But, in any event, just mention it to your surgeon in the preop area tomorrow when she comes by to say hi -- I really isn't going to be a problem. It is not an issue that you lied (lol) on your pre-op form ;-)

Dr. Rick :

Are you excited, scared or a bit of both?

Customer:

but it shouldnt postpone the procedure, i presume?

Customer:

mostly excited. I have 20/400. Will be happy with 20/200. It's all relative

Dr. Rick :

Not at all. Your prior eye history will make your cataract surgery more tricky a lot more then using avodart for 30 days 3 years ago...

Customer:

Being a dentist, this seems more like a 10 minute dental procedure, than IV sedatrion, out pt surgical center, NPO midnight, etc.

Dr. Rick :

Yes, but that would be a large improvement....people with 20/20 vision just don't understand that, but as a retina surgeon I get it :)

Customer:

My pal Rick :)

Dr. Rick :

It almost is...but don't fool yourself, us eye doctors work a lot harder then you DDS's

Dr. Rick :

By the way, my entire family are DDS: 2 general and one periodondist

Dr. Rick :

I've never had a cavity and my largest pockets are 2/3 ish

Customer:

When I was in dental school, it was felt not as worthy as medical school. Rather be a dentist than an MD these days. Brother is an Ob-Gyn - hates it. But thanks so much. Go back to work now and be well !

Dr. Rick :

I was tortured with fluoride as a child on a regular basis

Customer:

yes, we had many conversations about it

Dr. Rick :

Ya....I think you have it right there. I plan to retire in the next year or two.

Dr. Rick :

Anyway, good luck tomorrow. I'm sure you will do just fine.

Customer:

Thank you muchly

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. :)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Dr Rick. Just keeping you in the loop since you have helped me a lot ( CSR, buckle, cataract yesterday, dentist). Procedure went well. With the IOL, pre-op was 20/400-, today w/o additional correction 20/300, with pinhole 20/200 which is where I was 6? years ago which is terrific. Near vision ("newspaper print readable" don't know number). Thanks for everything ! Rich

Rich,
Excellent news! If your are this good on POD#1, maybe you will even get a bit more vision as the swelling goes down.
Glad to hear everything went well.
Have a good day.
Dr. Rick